Apr 13, 2010, 9:17 PM EST
UPDATE: Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic writes that there has been “very little recent dialogue” between the Diamondbacks and Mateo, concluding that there are “no indications” that a signing is imminent.
8:36 PM: According to Melissa Segura of SI.com, the Diamondbacks will sign 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Wagner Mateo by the end of the month.
We haven’t heard much about Mateo lately. Of course, the Cardinals inked him to a historic $3.1 million signing bonus last July, however the agreement was voided after concerns were raised about the vision in his right eye during a physical.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 18
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)