Apr 13, 2010, 4:38 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore is not nearly as sure about the Nats choosing Bryce Harper. He quotes the Nats Director of Amateur Scouting as saying “I don’t think that’s etched in stone” about it.
Yeah, whatever. I suppose he has to say that because if he admits that the Harper is the guy now he just gives Scott Boras several more months to plan his negotiating strategy, but someone’s going to have to make a really strong case to not select Bryce Harper for me to believe that the Nats won’t, and so far I haven’t seen it.
9:15 A.M. There’s a parlor game going on right now in which people who know a thing or two about the amateur draft are scanning around looking for ballplayers not named Bryce Harper who the Nats could or should take with their first pick.
Not gonna happen. MASN’s Ben Goessling reports that the Nats have already made up their mind on the matter, and it’s going to be Harper barring anything wacko happening like him spontaneously combusting or coming down with a case of Beriberi or something.
Worth noting that some people suggested the Nats should stay away from Stephen Strasburg last year too. They were just as silly as the people who think they shouldn’t draft Harper.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)