Apr 13, 2010, 4:38 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore is not nearly as sure about the Nats choosing Bryce Harper. He quotes the Nats Director of Amateur Scouting as saying “I don’t think that’s etched in stone” about it.
Yeah, whatever. I suppose he has to say that because if he admits that the Harper is the guy now he just gives Scott Boras several more months to plan his negotiating strategy, but someone’s going to have to make a really strong case to not select Bryce Harper for me to believe that the Nats won’t, and so far I haven’t seen it.
9:15 A.M. There’s a parlor game going on right now in which people who know a thing or two about the amateur draft are scanning around looking for ballplayers not named Bryce Harper who the Nats could or should take with their first pick.
Not gonna happen. MASN’s Ben Goessling reports that the Nats have already made up their mind on the matter, and it’s going to be Harper barring anything wacko happening like him spontaneously combusting or coming down with a case of Beriberi or something.
Worth noting that some people suggested the Nats should stay away from Stephen Strasburg last year too. They were just as silly as the people who think they shouldn’t draft Harper.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)