Apr 13, 2010, 4:38 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore is not nearly as sure about the Nats choosing Bryce Harper. He quotes the Nats Director of Amateur Scouting as saying “I don’t think that’s etched in stone” about it.
Yeah, whatever. I suppose he has to say that because if he admits that the Harper is the guy now he just gives Scott Boras several more months to plan his negotiating strategy, but someone’s going to have to make a really strong case to not select Bryce Harper for me to believe that the Nats won’t, and so far I haven’t seen it.
9:15 A.M. There’s a parlor game going on right now in which people who know a thing or two about the amateur draft are scanning around looking for ballplayers not named Bryce Harper who the Nats could or should take with their first pick.
Not gonna happen. MASN’s Ben Goessling reports that the Nats have already made up their mind on the matter, and it’s going to be Harper barring anything wacko happening like him spontaneously combusting or coming down with a case of Beriberi or something.
Worth noting that some people suggested the Nats should stay away from Stephen Strasburg last year too. They were just as silly as the people who think they shouldn’t draft Harper.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)