Video: Five year-old phenom takes BP and infield

Apr 13, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT

Nothin’ creepy about this video. No siree:

My son is going to be five this summer. He has a plastic tee he likes to hit wiffle balls off of. 60% of the time he hits the tee instead and, quite frankly, enjoys it more. I’m not sayin’ that my son is going to be in the stands watching this guy one day instead of competing for a job at shortstop, but I’m not not sayin’ it either.

1. ariel parents - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Hey guys! This is ariel father to answered some of your questions let me start by saying the everyone is 100% rigth about the helmet it was my mistake and let me assure you that after we made the video he’s helmet is always on when hitting BP or stepin into a CAGE. Ariel favorite sport believed or not is basketball he’s one of the smartes kid in his class he like to play football, soccer, basketball…. i got 4 kids age 11, 9, 5, 3 i don’t allow any video games in my house that’s why my kids jump from one sport to the other. Ariel is the way he is because he always play with he’s 2 other brother and YES HE CAN HIT AT 85MPH! No i’ll NEVER will let him throw a curveball yes he is a regular kid that is just into sports. thankyou all for your comments!!!

2. Young Gun - Apr 16, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I hope he stays with it…I was a young phenom. I had seven older brothers and was playing infield in slow-pitch hardball games when I was 5. I couldn’t hit like Ariel but when you’re that close to the ground you can read and catch groundballs like magic. I unfortunately was taught a curveball at age 8 and now have a hard time throwing from second to first.
    Good Luck Ariel,
    Max

3. ariel parents - Apr 16, 2010 at 12:15 PM

@young gun thank u!

4. ariel parents - Apr 16, 2010 at 12:16 PM

thank u!!!!

5. The "COACH" - Apr 16, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Ok – Obviously we have a very athletic 5 yo here but please. Hitting in a baseball training facility that doesn’t have the proper size bat, not wearing a helmet. Notice how the camera stops between pitches. That is likely to cut out the other god know how many, balls that were missed. Every ball the kid hit was in the same excact place, its called -throw it where he swings. You would think someone would teach him how to field the ball correctly ( square to the ball, hands down extended out from your body)I am not here to knock the kid, just to let all the “adults” associated with this video to remember he is a child. Let him be a kid and stop the false marketing will ya. I’ve seen it first hand way more times than I care to. Good luck Ariel.

6. Fair Maiden - Apr 19, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Why is everyone hating on this kid? Geez. Are you jealous that your son is not that great? Documentation. Does he live in America? What does that have to do with his ability to play baseball? Nothing. If he was playing golf, bowling, tennis or an equestian competitor you all wouldn’t think twice.

7. salesguy - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I think this kid is great and look at how much fun he is having. When you are young and good at something and you know it that is the healthiest thing you can give a young child.

8. anonymous - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:03 PM

He’s already better than Rex!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5118)