Apr 14, 2010, 2:41 PM EDT
The financial commitment speaks for itself. We are hoping that this is someone who can emerge and be a core piece for us. This is a significant signing. He’s the total package. He has very good range, above-average throwing arm and above-average defense. We absolutely believe he is going to stay at shortstop.
Just about everything I’ve seen written or said about Hechavarria suggests his bat has much more upside than his glove, so (if true) Anthopoulos saying that the Blue Jays believe he’ll be able to stick at shortstop is significant.
Anthopoulos added that Hechavarria will initially head to extended spring training before likely making his pro debut next month at Single-A and perhaps finishing the season at Double-A. He’s unlikely to make it to Toronto this year, although the GM said that hasn’t been ruled out. For now the Blue Jays have 33-year-old Alex Gonzalez as a place-holder shortstop and he’s off to a huge start.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 0
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 7
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 31
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)