Apr 14, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT
Last week Ozzie Guillen ranted about the White Sox striking out too much after a dozen whiffs in a game, so he probably lost some sleep Tuesday night after they struck out 14 times against the Blue Jays.
Ricky Romero actually took a no-hitter into the eighth inning before grazing leadoff man A.J. Pierzynski with a pitch and then serving up a homer to Alex Rios, settling for a career-high 12 strikeouts over eight innings of one-hit ball.
Kevin Gregg closed out the win with two more strikeouts in a 1-2-3 ninth inning for his third save. Gregg’s first two saves came because Jason Frasor was getting days off after heavy workloads, but Frasor was available Tuesday and still didn’t get the call. My guess all winter was that Gregg would wind up as Toronto’s closer and while he didn’t open the season in the role a shift away from Frasor seems to be taking place.
It’ll be interesting to see if the Frasor trade rumors from the offseason start up again soon.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (97)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)