Classless, ignorant Yankees fans boo Javier Vazquez

Apr 14, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT

Vazquez 2.jpgI’m not calling all Yankees fans classless and ignorant. Just the ones at Yankee Stadium today — and there were a lot of them — who booed Javier Vazquez. His line: Five and a third innings pitched, three four earned runs on six hits and a couple of walks.  Not a great line by any stretch — it’s the quintessential “the starter just didn’t have it today” line — but not one worthy of booing.

And to be clear: the boos weren’t merely a function of him leaving in the sixth inning after giving up a couple of hits and a wild pitch: they started in the first inning. A fan at the
game tweets
that fans were chanting “we want Melky” in the third inning.

I’m not the only one who thinks the fans were out of line either. The River Ave. Blues guys — Yankees fans all — were embarrassed by itThe Post’s Mike Vaccaro noted the poor form as well. And it is poor form. The man has started two games this year. These boos are almost certainly a function of people thinking back to 2004, which is amazingly weak given that, you know, the team just won the World Series five months ago. For a fan base that fancies itself so much more knowledgeable than anyone else’s, this was pretty bad.

Anyone care to defend the boo-birds here?

UPDATEThey booed Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira too.  Can you say “spoiled?”

1. yankee mike - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:03 AM

not to be all nit picky, but the marlins won the series in ’03–but the yankees were, at least, there.
    also, yankee fans do not have a monopoly on misplaced booing. ask david ortiz how much he’s enjoying life right now

2. Jim - Apr 15, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Um, this kind of happens all over the league but when it happens at Yankee Stadium, it’s big news? Come one…
    Posts like this say more about the author than the fans in question.

3. Will - Apr 15, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Craig, I was there. I know what happened. Quite frankly, that the News and Post would try to create headlines with the “booing” angle should surprise you. Your opinion was a strong one, so I would have thought you’d base it on a firsthand experience.
    What happened is a small portion of the crowd casually booed a pitcher who didn’t do well. The scribes then claim he was “lustily booed” and then run to the player for a reaction. Instant headline.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 15, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Will — I was watching the game yesterday and heard it myself. Many people I follow on Twitter were at the game as well, and they were mentioning it. That Vazquez was booed by a lot of people yesterday is not some creation of the tabloids.

5. Yankeefanjohn - Apr 15, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I’m sorry to say,the Yankee boo birds have lowered themselves to the level of Red Sox Fans.

6. Will - Apr 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Craig – Then the people you follow on Twitter were either at a different game, or I just happened to be in a polite section. Rather, what I think is at play here is a lot of people seeking to fill in the blank with a preconceived notion: Vazquez will have a difficult time in the Bronx because he and Yankee fans wont be able to forget 2004. Of course, that’s nonsense. Unless the player is an established star, he is going to be met with some negative response when he performs poorly. That’s what happened to Vazquez. He wasn’t lustily booed at any point.

7. icallitlikeiseeit - Apr 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM

You’re high! Red Sox fans don’t boo their players. I’ve been to many games and I haven’t seen that at all. You’re a fool!

8. Mac - Apr 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Why in the world would anyone want Melky? You want a guy who’s hitting .094.216/.125? Who just got benched so Matt Diaz can face righthanded pitching? Take him.

9. Larry - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Craig,
    I’m as a big a Yankee fan as they come, and not only is booing Vazquez ridiculous, but a good number of the folks buying tickets to Yankee games thus far in this young season clearly aren’t die-hards and are giving the rest of us a bad name.
    Case in point, I attended the game last night, and much to my complete and utter horror, somehow a wave got started around the 5th inning. Now obviously no self-respecting Yankee fan would ever participate in such amateurish garbage, and the fact that it even made it around the Stadium one time was disgraceful. I did my best to yell at everyone in my section, even putting my arms up in an attempt to “stop” it, but incredibly no one seemed to care.
    Inanity like pointless, spoiled booing and the wave breaking out are making the rest of us Yankee fans look terrible.

10. nick - Apr 16, 2010 at 10:35 PM

thats crap, vazquez was one of the best strikeout pitchers in the league for two years and now that he does “average” for the yanks after two game he gets booed is crap. he’s a great pitcher and just needs to adjust to a new environment. being a braves fan i would much rather have him then melky

11. Tom - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:05 PM

This from a Braves fan: If the Yankees want Melky back, I’d carry him all the way from Atlanta to NY all by myself if we’d get Vazquez back in return.

12. *sigh* - Apr 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I love how Yankee fan are “classless” and “ignorant” for booing a lousy performance but this pulp-pusher can fire off his ten thousandth nothing article essentially doing the same thing (again) and that’s just dandy.
    What a hypocrite. Why do I even read this nonsense anymore?

13. Joey B - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM

“Not a great line by any stretch — it’s the quintessential “the starter just didn’t have it today” line — but not one worthy of booing.”
    I was there and he was shelled. So while it might have been classless, it wasn’t clueless. I booed, but then I’m a RS fan. Still, I can understand the fans’ frustration.

14. George - Apr 24, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Let’s go Rays! Best team in baseball.

15. Msbronx17 - Apr 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Javier vazquez is a prime example of a piece of shit pitcher that can only succeed in the joke that is the NL. I wouldn’t even go as far as to trust him with a bp role. I’m hoping he either gets traded for a bag of balls with a bat boy or just send his sorry ass down to Scranton. He’s the most frustrating pitcher to watch and doesn’t have the gut to cut it in NY. Should have just kept someone like Gaudin to replace him with.
    I honestly don’t see him lasting all season here. Or maybe I’m just hoping something happens to where the team won’t have to
    carry his sorry ass all year. It’s just frustrating watching your 5th starter out pitch your 4th every game so far.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1936)