Classless, ignorant Yankees fans boo Javier Vazquez

Apr 14, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT

Vazquez 2.jpgI’m not calling all Yankees fans classless and ignorant. Just the ones at Yankee Stadium today — and there were a lot of them — who booed Javier Vazquez. His line: Five and a third innings pitched, three four earned runs on six hits and a couple of walks.  Not a great line by any stretch — it’s the quintessential “the starter just didn’t have it today” line — but not one worthy of booing.

And to be clear: the boos weren’t merely a function of him leaving in the sixth inning after giving up a couple of hits and a wild pitch: they started in the first inning. A fan at the
game tweets
that fans were chanting “we want Melky” in the third inning.

I’m not the only one who thinks the fans were out of line either. The River Ave. Blues guys — Yankees fans all — were embarrassed by itThe Post’s Mike Vaccaro noted the poor form as well. And it is poor form. The man has started two games this year. These boos are almost certainly a function of people thinking back to 2004, which is amazingly weak given that, you know, the team just won the World Series five months ago. For a fan base that fancies itself so much more knowledgeable than anyone else’s, this was pretty bad.

Anyone care to defend the boo-birds here?

UPDATEThey booed Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira too.  Can you say “spoiled?”

1. YankeesfanLen - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM

2. John - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Wow. As embarrassing as it is to be a Red Sox fan sometimes, this is just flat out horrible.

3. DiamondDuq - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I can’t defend the boo-birds here because it’s obviously too early for that kind of treatment, at least give him 3 starts before that kind of reaction in his 4th, but Vazquez should be lucky he’s not playing in Philly, they’ve been known to throw batteries and boo the best 3rd baseman in MLB history and Vazquez is hardly the best anything in history. By Philly standards this was a joyful embrace.

4. IdahoMariner - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I loathe the Yankees…and, no, I don’t care to defend the boo-birds on any of these counts. It might be that I loathe the Yankees largely because of their fans. Classless and ignorant is right.

5. Josh in DC - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM

The older I get (as a Red Sox fan), the more I realize it’s not the Yankees I hate, but their fans.
    I’m not sure I’ve really hated any Yankee player since Paul O’Neill left.*
    *Inside joke with myself. It’s hilarious over here.

6. the artist formerly known as (sic) - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:37 PM

So can we expect you to begin covering every instance of unwarranted booing in baseball now, or is this just a grab for clicks?

7. Plotkin35 - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I live in Boston, but I’m a lifetime Yankee fan. While I can say Yankee fans can be hard on their team……ever been to Fenway when one of their player’s are going bad? Like right now Big Papi, who everyone LOVED and would have licked his anus, now routinely boo him with every at bat, and are calling for Mike Lowell after the first game. As a fan, you have a right to boo your team, and player’s when they don’t perform.
    Plus people loved Melky, and how could you not, the kid played tough. Javier Vazquez has no heart. Never has, and never will and just doesn’t have the intestinal fortitude to make it as a pitcher in NY, with all the media scrutiny that he didn’t get in Arizona or Atlanta, or Montreal for that matter.

8. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I’ll highlight it whenever I hear it (I was watching this game), and/or when people point it out to me.

9. zac - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Seeing as how there are exactly 50,086 Yankee fans in the world and each of them were in attendance today, that’s probably a good judgment to make, IdahoMariner.

10. yeahright - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Ummm… Yankee fans have thrown batteries at players on the field. Seriously. And at opposing fans. You must be joking. I’ve seen Red Sox fans act like morons too, but I’ve never seen batteries thrown in 60 games in the bleachers. This is why the Yankees are hated- its not just the money and the excess, its the open-mouth breathers and half-wits that cheer for them. You know, when they aren’t booing their own players for no (good) reason.

11. John - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Papi really hasn’t been getting routinely booed. They only played three games at home, and the fans were very encouraging…like a hopeful “Come on Papi, you can do it!” type thing where we’re all just desperately clinging to some hope he can produce again. Him and Varitek did get booed last year though, and even though they were both hitting terribly, it’s still inexcusable to boo guys that have done that much for your organization like that. In fact I’m really not a fan of booing in any situation. It’s entirely counter-productive. Baseball is “90% mental” after all, I don’t think it’s good for anyone’s psyche to have 30,000 people booing you when you’re already going bad.

12. jwb - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:52 PM

“For a fan base that fancies itself so much more knowledgeable than anyone else’s”
    Is this really true? Certainly the folks who run the River Avenue and Replacement Level (and I’m probably missing a few) blogs are top notch, but the commenters don’t seem any more knowledgeable than those of any other team.

13. Lawrence From Plattekill - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I’ll defend them: They can do what they want as long as it’s legal. That includes booing guys who helped their team lose previously, and are helping them lose the game they’re watching. In my opinion, that’s pretty far down on the classless and ignorant scale.
    They pay your salary, indirectly, although if they had a choice, I imagine they wouldn’t pay a guy to defend millionaires who took steroids and attack fans who pay their way into the stadium and express their likes and dislikes.

14. Amol - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:55 PM

They’re not booing, they’re chanting “Booo-urns”!

15. Darryl - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Mr. yeahright, I’ve probably been to 100 Yankee games at Yankee Stadium, and I’ve NEVER seen anyone throwing anything on the field – probably because there are so many cops at the games that anyone doing that would surely get arrested. I’m curious if you’ve ever even been to Yankee Stadium (new one or old one), or if you’re just regurgitating the WEEI company line. As far as booing players on the field, if you recall, Tino Martinez was roundly booed in his first game – fans were chanting for Don Mattingly – right up to the point where Tino hit his first dinger. Jason Giambi was booed when he was first announced, until he hit that grand slam in extra innings to win that game early in the season his first year. Guess what? That’s New York. It’s a tough town. Deal with it.

16. fernando - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I can’t defend the booing, but I would like to point out that the fans did show their appreciation for Matsui yesterday. I’m sure once Vazquez pitches like he can, they will cheer him on.
    On another note, a Red Sox fan hit Martinez with a baseball during the World Series celebration. I mean if you can’t be happy during a victory parade, what type of fan are you? Still, I don’t judge Sox fans on that one instance. There will always be unappreciative fans for all teams or just people that think that they paid so they have a right to boo.

17. Ralph - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Lifelong Yankee fan here.
    A lot of Yankee fans are flat-out morons. The fact that they’d boo three of their players 10 games into the season (after winning the World Series) speaks volumes. The Yanks are 5-2 and in 2nd place in the division. Have some patience, you bunch of spoiled cvnts.
    captcha: diehards flow

18. Michael - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Yankee fans, embarrassing?
    Never.

19. John F - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Yankee hating is not unusual. Every team in a heated rivalry hates the other team’s allegedly ignorant fans. Yawn. The fans a the stadium who pine for Melky are indeed clueless. He’s so very average I just don’t get the love they have for him. Sometimes a player’s enthusiasm has the fan base overlooking the scores of times he failed to move the runner from 2B with two outs and nobody on or failed to score the runner from 3B with less than two outs or took a bad route on routine fly ball. This was a great trade by Brian Cashman. Guys like Vazquez don’t grow on trees; guys like Melky do. Javy Vazquez can’t take this personally. He needs to understand he’s pitched like the pro that he is everywhere but New York. His first half in 2004 was very good and he knows what he’s doing out there, but it’s frustrating to watch him pitch like he does. He pitches like he has other places to be sometimes. His focus is definitely lacking. No one is going to forget the Johnny Damon grand slam anytime soon, but he’s got too much talent to pitch he has so far in New York. Those boos are definitely leftover from another era, but he shouldn’t take them personally. If he pitches well he’ll get those cheers back. I’m not defending the fans so much as feeling their pain.

20. Eric - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM

@yeahright, I thought I heard some boos for Ortiz last week.
    Also, if you fail to perform, you get booed.
    There is no doubt that true Yankee class was exhibited on Tuesday. Of course you can’t comment on that.
    I am pretty sure that any time a loved player is replaced, there is going to be some hostility.
    I was more than okay to see Melky go, but less than happy to see Javier come. I hope I eat my fat foot over the next couple of years and am proven wrong.
    From a distance, Vazquez does seem too thin skinned for NY.
    New York is the capital of instant gratification. Nothing new here.
    Ma-holes are still way worse.

21. Greg Cohen - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I don’t care about the booing, if you don’t perform in this town you’re going to get boo’d. That’s how it is, and players know that coming in. New Yorkers also don’t seem to take boos as seriously as others. I have no idea why booing someone for a bad game is considered “classless” by anyone. The fans aren’t saying “I hate you”, they’re saying “this performance won’t fly, do better next time”. It’s not a big deal.
    The fact that the last memory the Yankees have of him are game 7 of the ’04 ALCS doesn’t help his cause.
    By the way, he gave up 4 runs today.

22. Jonny5 - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:33 PM

As much shit as Philly fans get we actually cheered for Hamels on his rough outings. Go figure. I guess Philly fans aren’t so bad afterall.
    “If he pitches well he’ll get those cheers back. I’m not defending the fans so much as feeling their pain.”
    Are you kidding me? Pain? Be a Baltimore fan for a season then talk about pain. A championship team causes the fans pain, go figure…..

23. YankeesfanLen - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:36 PM

At this point, I wouldn’t even have anything to say if not for Catcha: horniness WASHINGTON. If we’re back in the Clinton administration, I guess we’ll win the next 3 out of 4 World Championships.

24. RoyalsFan - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:46 PM

You all should come to Kansas City its great. We don’t boo anyone because we could really care less if we win or lose (usually lose).
    We don’t have to listen to our rivals make fun of us fans or our players because we don’t have any rivals. And let’s face it, if someone wore a “Royals Suck” shirt… it’d be based in fact. I get very offended with all the Yankees Suck/Boston Sucks chants that go on… they are both pretty good and there is no place for it. We suck… not either of you two. The Yankee and Boston fans should thank god they have each other, or else things would be VERY boring.

25. (Not That) Tom - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Exactly what does booing your own players accomplish?

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate