Apr 14, 2010, 9:33 PM EDT
Cliff Lee got his day in court on Wednesday, and he certainly can’t complain about being shortchanged on time.
The Mariners left-hander spoke with baseball executives for two-plus hours via conference call as he appealed the five-game suspension he was handed for throwing a pitch over the head of Arizona’s Chris Snyder during a spring training game.
The incident occurred after Lee had collided with Snyder earlier in the game. Lee suffered a strained abdomen on the play (which put him on the disabled list), and he cited the injury as a reason for his lack of control in that game.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes that Lee had been struggling with his command early in spring training anyway, and provides some convincing video evidence from one of Lee’s simulated games. At least I’m sure it was convincing to the minor leaguer he drilled in the back.
Hey, who wants to help Cliff out with his simulated game? You? Great! Just don’t crowd the plate.
A decision on Lee’s appeal is expected to come in the next couple days. Of more importance, Lee could return to action in late April or early May.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 5
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 98
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (99)