Apr 14, 2010, 9:33 PM EDT
Cliff Lee got his day in court on Wednesday, and he certainly can’t complain about being shortchanged on time.
The Mariners left-hander spoke with baseball executives for two-plus hours via conference call as he appealed the five-game suspension he was handed for throwing a pitch over the head of Arizona’s Chris Snyder during a spring training game.
The incident occurred after Lee had collided with Snyder earlier in the game. Lee suffered a strained abdomen on the play (which put him on the disabled list), and he cited the injury as a reason for his lack of control in that game.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes that Lee had been struggling with his command early in spring training anyway, and provides some convincing video evidence from one of Lee’s simulated games. At least I’m sure it was convincing to the minor leaguer he drilled in the back.
Hey, who wants to help Cliff out with his simulated game? You? Great! Just don’t crowd the plate.
A decision on Lee’s appeal is expected to come in the next couple days. Of more importance, Lee could return to action in late April or early May.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)