Jimmy Rollins has a torn calf; heading to the DL

Apr 14, 2010, 2:12 PM EDT

That’s the clear implication from Charlie Manuel’s comments on Sirius XM’s Home Plate show today:

“Fella did a number on his gam, so he’s gonna cheese it for a few ticks. We’re gonna peep the rumpus when we get to the yard, but I ain’t whistlin’ Dixie when I let on that he’s gonna be coolin’ it. Snap my cap if I could tell ya how long he’ll be off the job, but no foolin: he ain’t hotsy-totsy.”

Oh, sorry, I forgot to turn on the Charlie Manuel-to-modernity translator widget. Try this:

“Rollins, evidently he’s got like what they call a between a 2 and 1
degree calf, kinda, tear. And he’s gonna
miss some time. Actually, when I go to the ballpark – I’m on my way
there right now – we will go over what we’re gonna do with him today. I
mean, he’s definitely going to be out some time. How much, I don’t know
yet, but he’s hurt pretty bad.”

It looks like Wilson Valdez will take Rollins’ place on the 25-man roster.

1. JBerardi - Apr 14, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Charlie Manuel would like to digress from his prepared remarks to discuss how he invented the terlet…

2. Jonny5 - Apr 14, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Y’all better stop fussin’ wit’ Chaalie. He’ll smack you ’round quicker than a backwoods hillbilly gnaws down a ‘possum bone. BTW, I think they’ll bring Castro to short stop for now and he may just stay if he can hit decently. And damn, Jimmy has a hot bat right now, it’s a shame really. Go ahead Craig, Laugh it up….

3. IdahoMariner - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:31 PM

add “getting to translate Charlie Manuel” to the list of “reasons that I am eternally jealous of Craig’s gig, while I sit here trying to knock off another brief.” I love my job (no, really, I do) but knowing what you do, and how much fun it is? Rough, man, it’s rough.
    recaptcha is especially apt: houseman know
    yes, he does, even if he’s been at the NBC offices of late. lucky.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I’m a houseman again today, IM. Flew home last night. And while I’m grateful for the job I have, know this: translating Charlie Manuel isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. For every useful quote like that one I have to listen for hours as he talks about “the picture shows” or just sits snoozing on “the davenport.”

5. Ryan - Apr 14, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Can you turn the Charlie Manuel translator on for more of your posts? Maybe get Google to make you a widget?
    Captcha: the laughs – appropriate.

6. TC - Apr 14, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Old Timey-ness is, probably, my second favorite thing about the skipper. Just after Winning the 2008 WS. Tha’ wass awesome.

7. IdahoMariner - Apr 14, 2010 at 6:24 PM

best use of davenport this week.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey