No fun allowed in the Dodger Stadium parking lot

Apr 14, 2010, 10:11 AM EDT

Technically speaking, it’s always been illegal to tailgate in the Dodger Stadium parking lot, whether you’re drinking booze or not. Practically speaking you’ve always been able to do it. Until the last two years, anyway, when police have started cracking down.  Carla Hall of the L.A. Times has a story from yesterday’s home opener in which people who were merely enjoying a sandwich and chips before the game have had police officers descend upon them to tell them to move along.  According to my calculations, this surpasses A.J. Pierzynski’s flop job by 2.3 metric weaks on the official weakness scale.

Frank McCourt’s grand plans include putting a football stadium in that parking lot in order to attract an NFL team.  If that ever comes to pass, someone had best rethink the tailgating rules. Outside of Milwaukee baseball can survive without tailgating. Football though? Forget it.

1. enough already - Apr 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM

“Outside of Milwaukee baseball can survive without tailgating.”
    Maybe it can, but why should it? It’s not like people aren’t being bled dry for the privilege of parking somewhere in the vicinity of the stadium. Not to mention the other cost of driving and, of course, the ticket to the game. The price of food inside is entirely out of hand. It’s all fine and good if you are one person, but if you’re a family of four? And then there’s this: why do you want to prevent your fans from coming out a little early and enjoying each others’ company? Is there any real reason why this law is on the books in the first place? Or is it just another excuse to hand out tickets in a crummy economy?

2. enough already - Apr 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM

“Outside of Milwaukee baseball can survive without tailgating.”
    Maybe it can but why should it? It’s not like people aren’t being bled dry for the privilege of parking somewhere in the vicinity of the stadium. Not to mention the other cost of driving and, of course, the ticket to the game. The price of food inside is entirely out of hand. It’s all fine and good if you are one person, but if you’re a family of four? And then there’s this: why do you want to prevent your fans from coming out a little early and enjoying each others’ company? Is there any real reason why this law is on the books in the first place? Or is it just another excuse to hand out tickets in a crummy economy?

3. enough already - Apr 14, 2010 at 10:56 AM

“Outside of Milwaukee baseball can survive without tailgating.”

4. Ryan - Apr 14, 2010 at 11:33 AM

California baseball sucks!

5. Jack Meoffer - Apr 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM

It all comes down to money. The owners and operators of the Dodgers do not want you enjoying your reasonably priced sandwich and drink by your car while you wait to go into the stadium. They want you to go into the stadium and charge you $6 for a hot dog and $3 + for a 12 ounce drink. All while getting your ear drums blown out by the most horrendous music you ever want to hear. As for me, I have stopped going to games because of this. It was enjoyable at one point but now the whole purpose is to get bled dry. $20 to park, $50 for nose bleed seats (if you are lucky) and god help you if you are hungry. It’s 2010 and there are hundreds of more entertainment options today unlike there were 30 to 50 years ago. I work to hard to fork over the amount of money you have to for 3 hours of entertainment. It’s just not worth it.

6. Joel in Chicago - Apr 14, 2010 at 11:38 AM

“Outside of Milwaukee baseball can survive without tailgating.”
    No kidding. I’ve been to Miller Park for a dozen games or so over the last few years, and the whole parking lot is packed with BBQs, bags and beer. They even have nice verandas and shaded areas and whatnot if you want to tailgate away from your car. It looks like a college football game, not a midweek affair between the Brewers and D-backs.

7. jwb - Apr 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM

“The price of food inside is entirely out of hand.”
    And every sandwich, bag of chips, and beer consumed in the parking lot is a Dodger dog, a plate of nachos, and a beer that is not sold on the inside.

8. enough already - Apr 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Yeah, I know. I still live in a fantasy world where baseball is about the team and their fans. What can I say. I’m a sucker.

9. Ryan - Apr 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Incorrect – much like music piracy, where one download does not necessarily mean one lost sale. Sure, like the RIAA, the Dodgers can say that one download (or one hot dog) is a lost sale. This way, they can spin the fact that they don’t like people eating on their property when they didn’t buy it from a Dodgers vendor. But to say that me eating a dog outside the stadium equals a lost sale for the Dodgers is false.
    If they didn’t use their monopoly to gouge me, maybe I would buy more, but if I can eat 9 hot dogs outside for the price of one inside, I’m not going to buy 9 hot dogs inside. I might buy one, but just to hold me over until I can get back to my mom’s basement and the loving embrace of king-size bags of Cheetos, Oreos and Rock Stars.

10. BC - Apr 14, 2010 at 12:12 PM

It’s the same way at Citi Field – you have to sit in your car and have your sandwich and beer or the cops will harass you.

11. jwb - Apr 14, 2010 at 1:06 PM

“Incorrect – much like music piracy, where one download does not necessarily mean one lost sale.”
    I’m not sure this analogy works. I’ve heard music on the radio in my car, downloaded a few more tracks from the artist, and then bought a CD or two. Eating in the parking lot before a game will prevent me from buying the overpriced food inside the stadium.

12. Ryan - Apr 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Sure it works. Ever eaten a free sample of a food product? Admittedly, there are probably better analogies for getting my point across. I are not smarterest.

13. CaliforniaBaseball - Apr 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Ryan sucks.

14. LA - Apr 14, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Might have happened, who can tell with reporters that sometimes make stuff up or exaggerate. Big whoop. Are these fans pussys or what. They can’t stand up for themselves. Did they ask the security guards why they were being hustled along. What are a persons rights when they are parked in a parking lot. Do they have to exit the vehicle immediatly. If they sit in their car and eat some food or drink something what laws are they breaking. Don’t be such wimps.

15. brown - Apr 14, 2010 at 2:44 PM

As far as I know you are allowed to bring your own food to Yankee stadium. I’m guessing all the parks are like that. I know for sure you can in Cleveland. We bring in peanuts and water all the time not sure about other foods. I’m sure alcohol is always a no no. So, grab some airplane bottles before you go. Otherwise, check into it and bring your food inside.

16. Ryan - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:52 PM

LMAO. Sucking is my specialty. You know, in the Dayton Moore / Omar Minaya mold.

Orioles turn AL East on its head