Apr 14, 2010, 1:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: Yep, he’s hurt. Gonzalez is on the 15-day DL with a strained left shoulder.
12:13 P.M. The Orioles’ new $12 million closer hasn’t been worth a thin dime so far. Based on this mashed-up series of tweets from Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, he may be more than merely ineffective. He may be hurt:
Dave Trembley just revealed that Michale Gonzalez
was not available Tuesday. He may have a shoulder situation . . . Gonzalez came back from the birth of his first
child on Monday and told Trembley he couldn’t get loose to come in game . . . Gonzalez isn’t available today and will see a team
doctor, Trembley said. He apparently was in training room with shoulder
When Gonzalez came over to the Braves from the Pirates in 2007 he pitched in 18 games, then missed the rest of the year and half of the following year with Tommy John surgery. The difference between then and now: at least Gonzalez was effective in the handful of games he pitched for the Braves before he got hurt. His three appearances thus far have been fairly disastrous.
I hope Gonzalez isn’t hurt, because really, who wants someone to be hurt? But given how hard he was worked last year — 80 appearances in his first full post-Tommy John season — I’m not entirely optimistic.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 31
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 60
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)