Apr 14, 2010, 1:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: Yep, he’s hurt. Gonzalez is on the 15-day DL with a strained left shoulder.
12:13 P.M. The Orioles’ new $12 million closer hasn’t been worth a thin dime so far. Based on this mashed-up series of tweets from Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, he may be more than merely ineffective. He may be hurt:
Dave Trembley just revealed that Michale Gonzalez
was not available Tuesday. He may have a shoulder situation . . . Gonzalez came back from the birth of his first
child on Monday and told Trembley he couldn’t get loose to come in game . . . Gonzalez isn’t available today and will see a team
doctor, Trembley said. He apparently was in training room with shoulder
When Gonzalez came over to the Braves from the Pirates in 2007 he pitched in 18 games, then missed the rest of the year and half of the following year with Tommy John surgery. The difference between then and now: at least Gonzalez was effective in the handful of games he pitched for the Braves before he got hurt. His three appearances thus far have been fairly disastrous.
I hope Gonzalez isn’t hurt, because really, who wants someone to be hurt? But given how hard he was worked last year — 80 appearances in his first full post-Tommy John season — I’m not entirely optimistic.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)