Apr 14, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen has a contract to manage the Chicago White Sox through the 2012 season. But he knows that a manager’s job is always tenuous.
So what happens if he gets fired? He’s already contemplating the possibility, according to the Chicago Tribune, and has no problem with the idea of being a future retread manager.
“There are a lot of horse(bleep) managers out there that are given two and three shots to manage in the big leagues,” Guillen said Tuesday. “I don’t see why not me.”
Guillen reluctantly pointed out that Manny Acta was fired after 2 1/2 losing seasons in Washington but got two offers last winter to manage until he selected Cleveland.
“Why can’t I get another chance with another team?” Guillen said. “Am I going to keep on doing it? Well, I have to see what is going on.”
It seems a little early in the season for Ozzie to be talking about getting canned. Not sure what’s going on in that head of his (who does?), but I certainly hope he’s not starting to listen to Jay Mariotti.
But I have to agree with him on this one. If Guillen does get fired, he should get another chance. He’d make a heckuva lot more interesting horse(bleep), retread manager than, say, Mike Hargrove or Jim Riggleman.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 43
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)