Apr 14, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen has a contract to manage the Chicago White Sox through the 2012 season. But he knows that a manager’s job is always tenuous.
So what happens if he gets fired? He’s already contemplating the possibility, according to the Chicago Tribune, and has no problem with the idea of being a future retread manager.
“There are a lot of horse(bleep) managers out there that are given two and three shots to manage in the big leagues,” Guillen said Tuesday. “I don’t see why not me.”
Guillen reluctantly pointed out that Manny Acta was fired after 2 1/2 losing seasons in Washington but got two offers last winter to manage until he selected Cleveland.
“Why can’t I get another chance with another team?” Guillen said. “Am I going to keep on doing it? Well, I have to see what is going on.”
It seems a little early in the season for Ozzie to be talking about getting canned. Not sure what’s going on in that head of his (who does?), but I certainly hope he’s not starting to listen to Jay Mariotti.
But I have to agree with him on this one. If Guillen does get fired, he should get another chance. He’d make a heckuva lot more interesting horse(bleep), retread manager than, say, Mike Hargrove or Jim Riggleman.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 24
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (206)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)