Apr 15, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
Mark Teixeira went hitless yesterday for the seventh time in eight games this season, going 0-for-4 to drop him to 3-for-31 (.097) on the year and earn him some boos once Yankees fans were sick of harassing Javier Vazquez.
Slow starts are actually nothing new for Teixeira and in fact April struggles have been a career-long story for the 30-year-old first baseman. For instance, last season Teixeira hit .200 with a .738 OPS in April and then batted .304 with 36 homers, 112 RBIs, and a .976 OPS in 137 games from May 1 on.
Here are yearly OPS numbers for April and post-April in Teixeira’s career:
YEAR APRIL MAY 1+ 2003 .631 .836 2004 .984* .926 2005 .807 .981 2006 .886 .886 2007 .686 1.025 2008 .797 1.000 2009 .738 .976 CAREER .761 .944
For his eight-season, 1,068-game career Teixeira has a .761 OPS in April compared to a .944 OPS in all the other months, which is pretty amazing for a sample size of nearly 5,000 plate appearances. In five different seasons (2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009) his OPS in April was at least 170 points lower than his OPS after April, yet the only time his OPS in April was actually better than post-April was 2004, when injuries limited him to just eight April games.
Certainly figuring out why he gets off to such slow starts would be worthwhile for Teixeira and the Yankees, but short of that his being 3-for-31 after eight games shouldn’t really worry anyone. He does this more or less every season and yet for his career has still managed to hit .289 with a .377 on-base percentage and .541 slugging percentage to rank 13th among all active players with a .919 OPS.
Maybe he’s just giving everyone else a head start.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)