Comment of the Day "If you are not a Yankee fan you cannot relate to us, so STFU!"

Apr 15, 2010, 8:17 AM EDT

The Javier Vazquez party is progressing almost exactly as expected. After yesterday’s boos come today’s columns claiming that Vazquez simply “can’t handle New York” and otherwise ascribing moral failings to a pitcher for giving up four runs in an April start. It’d be hilarious if it weren’t so predictable.

Here’s my favorite retort to yesterday’s post on the Vazquez boos. It really shows the class and perspective inherent in a certain brand of Yankees fan:

Are you kidding me – of course we booed Vasquez!! It is what we do, it
is who we are. You should not be writing a baseball blog and holding
yourself out as some kind of expert, you are pathetic.

1) Yankee fans don’t care what anyone thinks of them.

2) If you are not a Yankee fan you cannot relate to us, so STFU!

3) If and when Vasquez does succeed we will embrace him like no other
city, no other fan base does. That is the faustian bargain that players
buy in to when they come here. You don’t just get to be a Yankee
because you put on the uniform – you get to be a Yankee when you prove
yourself worthy. That is the way it is when you are talking about the
greatest sports franchise in all of sports history.

4) If you were a Yankee I’d boo the crap out of you too. Cause you
suck!

The best part of this is that by casting this as “a Faustian bargain,” the Yankees fans are in the position of Satan. I think that’s a bit much, but if that’s how you want to view yourselves far be it from me to stop you.

1. BR5 - Apr 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Ironically, it’s how us Red Sox fans feel too. NY and Boston are high pressure areas and it has chewed up many a good player.

2. APBA Guy - Apr 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Interesting thread.
    What we see out here is only on TV, but I lived most of my life on the East Coast, though in DC, so I got to see the loyal fans travel to Baltimore, Boston, and Philly and fill the local stadia, which might otherwise be sparse.
    I get the passion. And I don’t think any city or teams’ fans gas a lock on boorish behavior or lack of baseball understanding.
    What I don’t get is booing your own guy when he’s laying out the effort. If he’s dogging it, sure, but Vazguez is working. The AL East is a tough transition. He isn’t being torched. You don’t like him? Trade him to the A’s. We need a veteran with a relatively good injury record.
    You can have one of our AAA guys. They try really hard too.

3. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I think that’s what bothers everyone so much about (fill in the blank – Yankee, Red Sox, Philly – fans). We’re having more fun.

Honest question, how is booing a player fun?

4. nick gerz - Apr 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM

lets be for real we are the best team with the greatest fans and unfortunately i gotta agree with the sux fan but we do ride players more than other cities but guess what WE WIN.. so STFU
    BABBA BOOEY BABBA BOOEY

5. VERY long time fan - Apr 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Having read all the aforementioned comments, try being a long time Yankee fan (since conception some time in 1938) and living in LA. I can’t even get tickets for the Yankees-Dodger series unless I buy a package of 14 games. This applies ONLY to the Yankee series. I’m not paying for that divorce. Yankee fans are arrogant as we should be. We have the best, we have always been the best. We can laugh at ourselves and move on. Some fans have to get over themselves. Let’s get on with the season. Javy will either figure it out…or not. That’s up to him. He knows he’ll be booed if he doesn’t do well. That’s the way it is.

6. Holtz - Apr 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM

The Faust legend? Legendarily bad Notre Dame football coach.

7. Kevin Sefcik Fan - Apr 15, 2010 at 12:48 PM

As a Philly fan, I say don’t be so harsh. Just like Philly, there are relatively few REAL yankee fans. The vast majority show up only in “fair weather,” and when things don’t go according to plan they feel like it’s their civic duty to boo, to defend their city’s reputation from these outside saboteurs. Where were they all in ’95 and ’96, when 25,000 on a Saturday night at The Stadium was considered “a good crowd”? You need to separate the “I bleed pinstripes” people from the posers. I never booed Mike Schmidt or Scott Rolen (only J.D. Drew – you couldn’t “handle” Philly anyway!) and the guys who did really had no idea why they were doing it.
    Still I’ll take Philly or even Yankee fans over Cub fans. You wanna talk about apathy? Seems like they don’t care at all who wins or loses, so long as the sun shines and somebody halfway-famous shows up to sing for them. Soriano yesterday became the first Cubs player booed in the history of Wrigley Field!

8. The Rabbit - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Actually, I never understood and still don’t understand rabid fandom. I liken it to blind patriotism.
    However, I’m surprised you didn’t reference yesterday’s news where a Yankees fan received a 20-40 year sentence for killing a Red Sox fan.

9. Lisa from Subway Squawkers - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:08 PM

So, what the pro-booing Yankee fan is saying, essentially, is that he/she is a frontrunner, only supporting the team’s players when they’re doing well. “It is what we do, it is who we are,” as the reader put it. And that is a good thing, why, exactly?

10. scatterbrian - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I don’t even get hating another team’s fans. There are assholes in all walks of life, the teams they support is just a detail. I have no problem hating people for being assholes, but I don’t understand why I should, for example, hate Mariners fans because their parents or grandparents or some other kin chose to raise their family in the Pacific Northwest.
    (captcha: mamas Makers)

11. easiestjobinsports - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Let’s face it. Rooting for the Yankees is the easiest job in sports. If you are a baseball fan and your favorite team is the Yankees that would be the equivalent of being a fisherman and having your favorite fishing hole be a barrel.

12. tank74 - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:52 PM

As if anyone who can quote from the Simpsons is worth listening to.
    Every other baseball fan would love to have what Yankee fans have.

13. Bugsy - Apr 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Playing for the Yanks is like having made a Faustian bargain. No, it’s not because the fans are demonic, but because not meeting New York City’s expectations can feel like being in the pressure cooker from hell.
    In most cities, the fans either have a feint hope that their team will win the World Series, or are happy if their team makes the second round of the playoffs. However, in New York, Yankees fans grow up EXPECTING a world series every year, with the extremely strong likelihood they will win. And with 27 World Series championships under their belts, who can blame them?
    In the 10 years preceding my birth, in all but one year, the World Series was played (in part) in the five boroughs. Who in Brooklyn can forget their one World Series championship in 1955, or Don Larsen’s perfect game for the Yanks in the 1956 series? After 1964, there was an abnormal drought for New York – only partially being quenched with the “Miracle Mets” winning their World Series. It wasn’t until George Steinbrenner that Yankee predominance was restored – and it lasted until (the very sad year) the Yanks dropped 4 in a row to Boston – with a perfectly good curse bring broken.
    Lest Boston fans (who are even more rabid than Yankee fans) take offense, I suggest considering this situation: Years ago, Warner Brothers actually ran a cartoon where Wile E. Coyote finally caught the Road Runner and asked “You’ve always wanted to see this – Now what do we do?” The same question has to be asked of Boston (and other cities’ fans…. Do you want New York’s attitude of victory at all costs?
    Bugsy

14. Don trager - Apr 15, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I’m a Boston fan and live in Queens. Whenever I go to my local bar to watch the games, the people there (99% Yankee fans) are very well-behaved. They joke and there’s a lot of good-natured ribbing going on, but that’s it – even on the occasions they’re losing. They know I’m a Boston fan, but they don’t gang up on me or insult.
    I suspect the anonymous nature of the internet makes it easy to be more vicious and hateful since what are the odds you’ll be identified?

15. Baaston Redsux Suck - Apr 15, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Hey Bugsy! While you are correct that the Redsux won in 2004, it wasn’t because the Yankees didn’t try, it was because the Redsux cheated, period. Almost everyone of their players were on the juice, especially, Big Sloppy, The Dunce Manny, Veripunk, and Pukolis just to name the obvious ones. That’s the ONLY way they finally broke the Curse. I still believe, that Gutless Selig should strip the Redsux of both of their most recent titles!!! But, I’m not really thinking about that anymore, because, we all know that the next time the Baaston Redsux will win another World Series, without cheating, Halley’s Comet will have made it’s return flyby! One other thing, I don’t hate Philly fans, in fact I enjoy time, it’s their disgusting smelly city that I hate!

16. Josh - Apr 15, 2010 at 3:27 PM

As a Braves fan who lived in Atlanta for 20 years, I agree with some of you that our fans can be somewhat on the boring side when it comes to cheering the home team. Several players have made remarks regarding our laid back style. I don’t blame them. But to call the chop obnoxious and that we “stole” it from Florida State isn’t exactly accurate. If memory serves, we started using it when Deion Sanders started playing for us, and he had gone to FSU, hence the connection. He was the “it” guy for the city back in 91, so it was something easy for the fans to grab on to. It stuck, like it or not.
    Honestly, the wave or the beach balls are way more obnoxious to me than the chop, although I don’t really do that one either. I live in LA now, and I would absolutely take a Braves fan over a Dodger fan any day of the week. We (Braves fans) DO applaud good plays, even from the opposing team. I did the same thing at a Dodger game last year and EVERY person around me started booing me for applauding the other team, regardless of the finesse of the play. That’s a Dodger fan in a nutshell. A die-hard fan because they like wearing the jersey or the cap.

17. Route36West - Apr 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM

“3) If and when Vasquez does succeed we will embrace him like no other city, no other fan base does. ”
    O is that right? Then explain to me why in the same day that Yankees fans booed Vasquez did they also boo Alex Rodriquez and Mark Teixeira? It seems like both of then proofed themselves last year in you know winning a world series.
    Doesnt seem like they were embraced to me. Just face it Yankees fans are only the best at 1 thing being fickle.
    Its funny the best team in baseball history has the worst fans.

18. Congratulations - Apr 15, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Congratulations, you’ve epitomized the very traits that some fans of other teams dislike about some fans of the Yankees.
    Just to remind you of known “cheaters” who at some point “were on the juice:” Giambi, Pettite, Clemens, A. Rodriguez. Every team in MLB has had players using PEDs, including the Yankees. Several former players have now said that the majority on every team used them. Focusing on the ones who played for Boston is just ignorant.

19. Gobias Industries - Apr 15, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Boy, if I had a nickel for every time a commenter used the phrases “Faustian bargain” and “you suck” in the same post…

20. Adam - Apr 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Most Braves fans are okay, expect for the ones who run blogs at national websites and live in central Ohio. :)

21. bodyman - Apr 15, 2010 at 10:20 PM

I have been a yank fan for 50 year’s not going to change now! And I live in Tn!Ed

22. Congratulations - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:25 AM

“I have been a yank fan for 50 year’s”
    –Wonderful, really. Loyalty’s great. I’ve been a Reds fan for 40 years myself. Of course, the post isn’t about you, or the 90+% of NYY fans out there who are terrific people who love their team. It’s not even about the folks who invented the Bronx cheer. It’s about the minority of vocal idiots that seem to believe they are part owners of the Yankees and entitled to behave boorishly because they paid admission–who instead of being happy that their team’s won 1/4 of all World Series ever played, are mad at the 3/4 they did not…to the point of not forgiving a player who dared lose a game 7 to a rival.
    –The other side of course, is that entitled, knuckleheaded fans are everywhere. Teams with traditions of winning are especially polluted with them.

23. Lisa - Apr 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Your description of Carton was too kind. He actually compared Boomer not agreeing 100 percent with him about you to Boomer being like somebody “sitting in France in 1942,” saying “eh, they make a good point.” How classless and ignorant of him to make such a tasteless comparison.

24. GimmesomeSteel - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Cut Craig some slack, Adam. Craig has his own crosses to bear, including living between those two capitals of baseball “excellence”, Cincinnati (where I live) and Cleveland.
    No offense, Congratulations, but most Reds fans don’t know jack about the game; worse, they think they do. Sometimes I have to find a seat away from everyone (easy to do at the GASP) to avoid their ignorance. And speaking to one of your points, it’s mainly the modern Yankee fan who’s so unforgiving. Ralph Terry gave up Maz’s epic HR in 1960 and yet remained an integral part of the team for several years after that. Nowadays, he would be advised to not take the team plane back to NY.

25. Donna - Apr 17, 2010 at 2:15 PM

NOT ALL YANKEES FANS are like those from New York. Not all classless rednecks come from the South. Some of those from New York, again I say some, not all, are brash and arrogant and think their opinions are the only ones that matter.They go to the ballgames more to get drunk and voice those opinions rather than support the team they supposedly love. All players have at one time or another made mistakes. All managers and owners have made decisions, trades and acquisitions that every one questions but at the end of the day they are part of your team and you support them. Love or hate them how many teams have 27 World Championships? They must be doing something right! Wanna talk crap about somebody put Joe West out there.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2948)