Comment of the Day "If you are not a Yankee fan you cannot relate to us, so STFU!"

Apr 15, 2010, 8:17 AM EDT

The Javier Vazquez party is progressing almost exactly as expected. After yesterday’s boos come today’s columns claiming that Vazquez simply “can’t handle New York” and otherwise ascribing moral failings to a pitcher for giving up four runs in an April start. It’d be hilarious if it weren’t so predictable.

Here’s my favorite retort to yesterday’s post on the Vazquez boos. It really shows the class and perspective inherent in a certain brand of Yankees fan:

Are you kidding me – of course we booed Vasquez!! It is what we do, it
is who we are. You should not be writing a baseball blog and holding
yourself out as some kind of expert, you are pathetic.

1) Yankee fans don’t care what anyone thinks of them.

2) If you are not a Yankee fan you cannot relate to us, so STFU!

3) If and when Vasquez does succeed we will embrace him like no other
city, no other fan base does. That is the faustian bargain that players
buy in to when they come here. You don’t just get to be a Yankee
because you put on the uniform – you get to be a Yankee when you prove
yourself worthy. That is the way it is when you are talking about the
greatest sports franchise in all of sports history.

4) If you were a Yankee I’d boo the crap out of you too. Cause you
suck!

The best part of this is that by casting this as “a Faustian bargain,” the Yankees fans are in the position of Satan. I think that’s a bit much, but if that’s how you want to view yourselves far be it from me to stop you.

1. RobRob - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Of course, his reading of the Faust legend is a bit off because Faust wasn’t traded from Atlanta to Mephistopheles’s baseball team in the middle of a contract.

2. Charles Gates - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:32 AM

I guess I’ll have to say it again, I like the Yankees but I hate Yankee fans.
    Except for Len. I like Len.
    recaptcha: muskiest few

3. B-Man - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:35 AM

makes us fans in philly a little more bearable doesn’t it? yankees fans are so full of themselves they should all just be rounded up and dropped off a cliff, a la homer simpson in that episode when he made a billion clones of himself; I suggest using a giant pastrami sandwich as bait.

4. John Willumsen - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:42 AM

I’ve said this before, I’ll say it again: as a life long denizen, born and bred, of NYC, I can attest to the fact that the absolute worst part of this city is the people. But it should be emphasized that it’s not ALL of the people. I was following the game, as were many of my Yankee-fan friends, none of us booed Vazquez, none of us goes on absurd rants anonymously on the internet, none of is filled with hate and ignorance. So please, I beg of you, do not judge all Yankee fans and all New Yorkers on the idiots. Don’t judge all of us on the pieces of crap who want to curse, scream and fight, on the morons who think they’re better than everyone else. I know there are a lot of them, believe me I know it, but I assure you, plenty of us are humble, helpful and want nothing more than to be able to live in happy harmony with everyone around us.

5. YankeesfanLen - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Thank you Charles.
    Looks like we picked up some elements of the Blue Network here again. Well, isn’t that special.
    NY BaseballFandom is a little off kilter here now, much as it must have been in the late 50s when there was no longer a crosstown team, either of merit, or just there.
    With no sparring to be done against the Metropolitans, some of the lower mental persuasion find it time to eat their young. This is not acceptable given the timeframe.
    I’m not a 162-0 type, 108-54 will be fine.

6. Paqs - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Looks like he cares at least a little bit what people think of Yankee fans, right?

7. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I think I’d take this Yankee fan a little more seriously if they could spell Vazquez right, especially in reply to a story that does, in fact, have his name spelled correctly multiple times.
    Not all Yankee fans fit the bill as classless and arrogant, but a vast majority do. That vast majority generally consists of bandwagon jumpers and good time fanboys. These would be the same cats who still have a Chad Pennington jersey tucked in a closet somewhere from the three week stretch that they were a “lifelong” Jets fan.
    There are plenty of knowledgeable, loyal Yankee fans out there. They generally don’t waste their time trolling around websites to talk smack about anything and everything that they perceive as a slight against the “greatest fans in the world.”

8. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Not all Yankee fans fit the bill as classless and arrogant, but a vast majority do. Unfortunately, that vast majority is usually the most vocal.
    There are plenty of knowledgeable, loyal Yankee fans out there. The thing is they generally don’t waste their time trolling around websites to talk smack about anything and everything that they perceive as a slight against the “greatest fans in the world.”

9. ditmars1929 - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Oh, this is just stupid. If you’re not a fan of the Yankees, of course you’ll hate their fans. If you’re from NY or a Mets fan, of course you’ll hate all people in Philly. Everybody hates Boston fans. Basically, if you root for one team, you hate the fans of all 29 other teams. Jesus, Craig, how about reporting some news instead of trying to make some up?

10. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 15, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Except there are many of us, like Charles Gates posted above, who are Yankee fans but hate other Yankee fans. Vazquez’s line from ’04 through June, when he made his one and only ASG:
    104IP – 41ER (3.42ERA) – 6.75K/9 – 1.83BB/9 – 3.68 K/BB
    Then he hurts his shoulder, tries to pitch through pain and gives up a HR to Damon in Game 7. The idiotic Yankee fans only remember the latter, while the more informed remember the former.

11. ditmars1929 - Apr 15, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Oh, agreed, Church. Yankee fans can hate other Yankee fans for being ignorant morons, no problem there. If you’d like to use Javy as an example, I knew he was trying to adjust to NY in his first season, and I knew he was pitching injured. I was hoping they’d retain him after the season despite what happened in Game 7. A “mulligan”, if you will.
    But my overall point was that fans of one team hating fans of another team is a pretty dumb non-news story. But, Yankees being the Yankees, their fans take more flak than others. Maybe Craig will write about how obnoxious Braves fans are, with their tomahawk chops cheering and then not coming out to the park the minute the Braves don’t (God forbid) win their division and make the playoffs, but I doubt the little homer will.

12. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 15, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Braves fans aren’t obnoxious. They’re mostly stupid (the chop) ignorant (they don’t truly understand baseball) and they’re largely apathetic, which is a whole different yet supremely annoying set of behaviors than that which we see in Yankees fans. When that rears its head I write about it. Indeed, I have several times in the past. Of course I understand that your insecurity about someone taking the piss out of Yankees fans may prevent you from looking through the archives this morning . . .

13. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 15, 2010 at 9:44 AM

In other news, water is wet, the sun is hot….
    Nothing really much to add except I agree completely.

14. DSFC - Apr 15, 2010 at 9:45 AM

As a Yankee fan since birth who fought like hell with my wife to give my son the first and middle names “Donald Mattingly”, I can comfortably say that I despise a large chunk of our fan base. They’re the people who booed A-Rod for years because he wasn’t “clutch”, the b-Jobbers, the Joey Four Rings crowd. Hate ‘em.

15. Joe G - Apr 15, 2010 at 9:45 AM

“But, Yankees being the Yankees, their fans take more flak than others.”
    I don’t know man, I’m a Philly fan. We take a whole lot of crap. Not saying we don’t deserve it sometimes, but we take a lot of shots.
    Also, this is a neat discussion. Like I said, I am a Philly fan, but man do I hate a lot of Philly fans. It’s like this everywhere, I am sure. It’s just annoying to get painted with such a broad stroke.

16. ditmars1929 - Apr 15, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Craig, I piss just fine, thank you. And if I’ve had two beers in one inning but Posada is batting, I can hold it. Me and my bladder are on great terms. But thank you for your concern.
    And you’re a little off. That chop is certainly stupid, but it really is obnoxious. Also, how so do you mean they are ignorant, and are they more apathetic than Dodger fans?
    Thanks.

17. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Maybe the chop is obnoxious, I dunno. I think it’s more stupid myself because they didn’t even have the obnoxious impulse to come up with it themselves. They stole it from FL State. When it comes to the chop I give them the true obnoxiousness label.
    As for ignorant: they really don’t get baseball. You rarely hear cheers from Braves fans for heads up plays that are less than spectacular. Sure, when someone lays out for a web gem they cheer, but when someone makes a strong throw from right field to hold a guy to a single when he could have made second you rarely hear it. The small stuff. They like familiar players and don’t get excited for prospects that aren’t gigantic obvious ones like Jason Heyward. It’s just a low overall baseball IQ in Braves’ fandom.
    Braves fans? They just like football more and always will.

18. ecp - Apr 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM

No, Craig, trust the non-Braves fans: The Chop isn’t just stupid, it’s obnoxious, whether by Florida State crowds or Braves fans. I watched multiple World Series games in the ’90s with the volume turned off because it truly ruined the experience.

19. Glen Bentley - Apr 15, 2010 at 10:25 AM

When I was boy…growing up on Long Island….my greatest joy was tormenting Yankee fans….I hated them…..they always got what they wanted…..I was a Giants fan…..and my all-time greatest moment was when Bill Mazeroski hit a home run to beat the Yankees in the 1960 World Series…..I rode my bike up and down the streets screaming…and repeating and repeating…..”The Pirates Beat The Yankees! The Pirates Beat the Yankees.”

20. Jonny5 - Apr 15, 2010 at 10:27 AM

“I actually think Dodgers’ fans get a bad rap on the apathy scale. Their true fandom — and the vast, vast majority — are blue collar and Latino fans who show up early and cheer their asses off. You hear more about the apathetic ones because they have those really expensive seats that you can see on TV all the time.”
    Tell that to the female reporter from philly who was being felt up by multiple Dodgers fans while trying to broadcast during the 08 playoffs. Look at the empty seats from innings 1-3 and 7-9. Look guys Just admit Philly has the very best fans in the world and you’ll feel much better. It’s ok. Take that big weight off and just admit it.

21. JudyJ - Apr 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM

This whole story thread is so embarrassing. I am a Yankee fan – I enjoyed the ring ceremony and all that implies. However, I just cannot go along with the theory that Yankee fans are all totally obnoxious. Most of the people who are Yankee fans, at least the ones that I know, have a little more going for them than the type portrayed on this site. I am disappointed at the boos Javy V received – after all, the Yankees gave up Melky for him – don’t you think the management of the team knows a little more than you or I when it comes to player talent? Mark T isn’t hitting – is he next to be shamed in the stadium? To all of you who think you are so great and never have a bad day – get over it!

22. DSFC - Apr 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I used to live in LA and go to Dodger games. Dodger fans generally suck. Dodger Stadium itself, on the other hand, is terrific. I don’t know if this is still the case, but I used to love the fact that they didn’t use much recorded much and had the organ playing instead.

23. Tom from HotStove.com - Apr 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I was at the Phillies game last night, and the crowd really let Kyle Kendrick have it when he was pulled in the second inning after getting torched for 6 earned in just 1 and two-thirds of work. I’m talking deafening boos — even the middle-aged woman and her 10 year-old son next to me were adding to the chorus.

That’s just the way it is in cities where fans really, truly care about the team’s performance. Be it New York, Boston, or Philly, when a pitcher (who no one believes in to begin with, by the way) stinks up the joint, the fans react.

Vazquez’s situation is different from Kendrick’s in several ways — Kendrick is just a fill-in for Blanton, who’s on the DL, and Kendrick isn’t making anywhere near the $11.5 million Vazquez will take in this year. But, both pitchers have started the season with two subpar starts that further reinforced fans’ already negative opinions of them.

24. RobRob - Apr 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM

There’s an element in Yankee-fandom (and it runs rampant in the NY press) that espouses and cherishes the idea that New York is “special”. That playing for the Yankees is a privilege. That being cheered by their fans is something that has to be earned. This element promotes the idea that players “can’t handle” New York, as a way to pump up their own importance.

Booing Vazquez because of 2004, or Giambi because he’s not Tino, or ARod because he’s “not clutch”, is stupid self-aggrandizement.

25. Adam - Apr 15, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Yankee fan, yes. But more than that, passionate baseball fan. That’s what all these “obnoxious” fans have in common. Philly, Boston, New York,(even the Mets), all live and die with their team, and that’s what make it fun to be a baseball fan in the Northeast. The fact that a simple story about a guy who gets booed for not doing his job (let’s not confuse Javy with Mike Schmidt, after all) can generate this kind of heat…I love it. It’s fun. And I guarantee you it’s a lot more fun at Yankee Stadium (or Fenway, or the Link) than it is in Pittsburgh or Tampa or, Craig, dare I say it, Atlanta. I think that’s what bothers everyone so much about (fill in the blank – Yankee, Red Sox, Philly – fans). We’re having more fun.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2973)