Apr 15, 2010, 8:17 AM EDT
The Javier Vazquez party is progressing almost exactly as expected. After yesterday’s boos come today’s columns claiming that Vazquez simply “can’t handle New York” and otherwise ascribing moral failings to a pitcher for giving up four runs in an April start. It’d be hilarious if it weren’t so predictable.
Here’s my favorite retort to yesterday’s post on the Vazquez boos. It really shows the class and perspective inherent in a certain brand of Yankees fan:
Are you kidding me – of course we booed Vasquez!! It is what we do, it
is who we are. You should not be writing a baseball blog and holding
yourself out as some kind of expert, you are pathetic.
1) Yankee fans don’t care what anyone thinks of them.
2) If you are not a Yankee fan you cannot relate to us, so STFU!
3) If and when Vasquez does succeed we will embrace him like no other
city, no other fan base does. That is the faustian bargain that players
buy in to when they come here. You don’t just get to be a Yankee
because you put on the uniform – you get to be a Yankee when you prove
yourself worthy. That is the way it is when you are talking about the
greatest sports franchise in all of sports history.
4) If you were a Yankee I’d boo the crap out of you too. Cause you
The best part of this is that by casting this as “a Faustian bargain,” the Yankees fans are in the position of Satan. I think that’s a bit much, but if that’s how you want to view yourselves far be it from me to stop you.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)