Apr 15, 2010, 8:17 AM EDT
The Javier Vazquez party is progressing almost exactly as expected. After yesterday’s boos come today’s columns claiming that Vazquez simply “can’t handle New York” and otherwise ascribing moral failings to a pitcher for giving up four runs in an April start. It’d be hilarious if it weren’t so predictable.
Here’s my favorite retort to yesterday’s post on the Vazquez boos. It really shows the class and perspective inherent in a certain brand of Yankees fan:
Are you kidding me – of course we booed Vasquez!! It is what we do, it
is who we are. You should not be writing a baseball blog and holding
yourself out as some kind of expert, you are pathetic.
1) Yankee fans don’t care what anyone thinks of them.
2) If you are not a Yankee fan you cannot relate to us, so STFU!
3) If and when Vasquez does succeed we will embrace him like no other
city, no other fan base does. That is the faustian bargain that players
buy in to when they come here. You don’t just get to be a Yankee
because you put on the uniform – you get to be a Yankee when you prove
yourself worthy. That is the way it is when you are talking about the
greatest sports franchise in all of sports history.
4) If you were a Yankee I’d boo the crap out of you too. Cause you
The best part of this is that by casting this as “a Faustian bargain,” the Yankees fans are in the position of Satan. I think that’s a bit much, but if that’s how you want to view yourselves far be it from me to stop you.
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)