Apr 15, 2010, 8:17 AM EDT
The Javier Vazquez party is progressing almost exactly as expected. After yesterday’s boos come today’s columns claiming that Vazquez simply “can’t handle New York” and otherwise ascribing moral failings to a pitcher for giving up four runs in an April start. It’d be hilarious if it weren’t so predictable.
Here’s my favorite retort to yesterday’s post on the Vazquez boos. It really shows the class and perspective inherent in a certain brand of Yankees fan:
Are you kidding me – of course we booed Vasquez!! It is what we do, it
is who we are. You should not be writing a baseball blog and holding
yourself out as some kind of expert, you are pathetic.
1) Yankee fans don’t care what anyone thinks of them.
2) If you are not a Yankee fan you cannot relate to us, so STFU!
3) If and when Vasquez does succeed we will embrace him like no other
city, no other fan base does. That is the faustian bargain that players
buy in to when they come here. You don’t just get to be a Yankee
because you put on the uniform – you get to be a Yankee when you prove
yourself worthy. That is the way it is when you are talking about the
greatest sports franchise in all of sports history.
4) If you were a Yankee I’d boo the crap out of you too. Cause you
The best part of this is that by casting this as “a Faustian bargain,” the Yankees fans are in the position of Satan. I think that’s a bit much, but if that’s how you want to view yourselves far be it from me to stop you.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)