Apr 15, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
Not everyone was booing Javy Vazquez yesterday. Some were saving people’s lives. From the Daily News:
An Army medic who served in Iraq became a hero in the stands at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday when he saved a prominent Bronx
rabbi’s wife choking on a piece of kosher London broil. John Stone 38, of Montville, Conn., sprang into action when he spotted Toby Weiss gagging about 15 rows in front of him in the section behind
“It was a very big scare. Toby’s life was saved by a man who really,
for us, is a great hero,” said Rabbi Avi Weiss of the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale.
It’s been a while since I studied theology, but I’m pretty sure that if you save a rabbi’s wife from dying you get to stay in the Admiral’s Club while waiting for your flight to Heaven to arrive when you yourself die.
Not that it was all positive. Immediately after the incident the crowd booed Stone mercilessly for not going straight to a ball point
pen tracheotomy, because that’s what winners do. Later, Yankees fans booed him for not saving Javier Vazquez from choking too.
But hey, it’s New York. That is the Faustian bargain that fans
buy into when they come here. You don’t just get to be a hero
just because you save someone’s life. You get to be a hero when you prove
yourself worthy. That is the way it is when you are talking about the
greatest sports franchise in all of sports history.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)