Apr 15, 2010, 1:13 PM EST
Not everyone was booing Javy Vazquez yesterday. Some were saving people’s lives. From the Daily News:
An Army medic who served in Iraq became a hero in the stands at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday when he saved a prominent Bronx
rabbi’s wife choking on a piece of kosher London broil. John Stone 38, of Montville, Conn., sprang into action when he spotted Toby Weiss gagging about 15 rows in front of him in the section behind
“It was a very big scare. Toby’s life was saved by a man who really,
for us, is a great hero,” said Rabbi Avi Weiss of the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale.
It’s been a while since I studied theology, but I’m pretty sure that if you save a rabbi’s wife from dying you get to stay in the Admiral’s Club while waiting for your flight to Heaven to arrive when you yourself die.
Not that it was all positive. Immediately after the incident the crowd booed Stone mercilessly for not going straight to a ball point
pen tracheotomy, because that’s what winners do. Later, Yankees fans booed him for not saving Javier Vazquez from choking too.
But hey, it’s New York. That is the Faustian bargain that fans
buy into when they come here. You don’t just get to be a hero
just because you save someone’s life. You get to be a hero when you prove
yourself worthy. That is the way it is when you are talking about the
greatest sports franchise in all of sports history.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 85
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)