Apr 15, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
Not everyone was booing Javy Vazquez yesterday. Some were saving people’s lives. From the Daily News:
An Army medic who served in Iraq became a hero in the stands at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday when he saved a prominent Bronx
rabbi’s wife choking on a piece of kosher London broil. John Stone 38, of Montville, Conn., sprang into action when he spotted Toby Weiss gagging about 15 rows in front of him in the section behind
“It was a very big scare. Toby’s life was saved by a man who really,
for us, is a great hero,” said Rabbi Avi Weiss of the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale.
It’s been a while since I studied theology, but I’m pretty sure that if you save a rabbi’s wife from dying you get to stay in the Admiral’s Club while waiting for your flight to Heaven to arrive when you yourself die.
Not that it was all positive. Immediately after the incident the crowd booed Stone mercilessly for not going straight to a ball point
pen tracheotomy, because that’s what winners do. Later, Yankees fans booed him for not saving Javier Vazquez from choking too.
But hey, it’s New York. That is the Faustian bargain that fans
buy into when they come here. You don’t just get to be a hero
just because you save someone’s life. You get to be a hero when you prove
yourself worthy. That is the way it is when you are talking about the
greatest sports franchise in all of sports history.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)