Apr 15, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
Not everyone was booing Javy Vazquez yesterday. Some were saving people’s lives. From the Daily News:
An Army medic who served in Iraq became a hero in the stands at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday when he saved a prominent Bronx
rabbi’s wife choking on a piece of kosher London broil. John Stone 38, of Montville, Conn., sprang into action when he spotted Toby Weiss gagging about 15 rows in front of him in the section behind
“It was a very big scare. Toby’s life was saved by a man who really,
for us, is a great hero,” said Rabbi Avi Weiss of the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale.
It’s been a while since I studied theology, but I’m pretty sure that if you save a rabbi’s wife from dying you get to stay in the Admiral’s Club while waiting for your flight to Heaven to arrive when you yourself die.
Not that it was all positive. Immediately after the incident the crowd booed Stone mercilessly for not going straight to a ball point
pen tracheotomy, because that’s what winners do. Later, Yankees fans booed him for not saving Javier Vazquez from choking too.
But hey, it’s New York. That is the Faustian bargain that fans
buy into when they come here. You don’t just get to be a hero
just because you save someone’s life. You get to be a hero when you prove
yourself worthy. That is the way it is when you are talking about the
greatest sports franchise in all of sports history.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)