Counterpoint: Some Yankees fans are totally awesome

Apr 15, 2010, 1:13 PM EST

Not everyone was booing Javy Vazquez yesterday. Some were saving people’s lives. From the Daily News:

An Army medic who served in Iraq became a hero in the stands at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday when he saved a prominent Bronx
rabbi’s wife choking on a piece of kosher London broil. John Stone 38, of Montville, Conn., sprang into action when he spotted Toby Weiss gagging about 15 rows in front of him in the section behind
home plate.

“It was a very big scare. Toby’s life was saved by a man who really,
for us, is a great hero,” said Rabbi Avi Weiss of the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale.

It’s been a while since I studied theology, but I’m pretty sure that if you save a rabbi’s wife from dying you get to stay in the Admiral’s Club while waiting for your flight to Heaven to arrive when you yourself die.

Not that it was all positive. Immediately after the incident the crowd booed Stone mercilessly for not going straight to a ball point
pen tracheotomy, because that’s what winners do. Later, Yankees fans booed him for not saving Javier Vazquez from choking too.

But hey, it’s New York. That is the Faustian bargain that fans
buy into when they come here. You don’t just get to be a hero
just because you save someone’s life. You get to be a hero when you prove
yourself worthy. That is the way it is when you are talking about the
greatest sports franchise in all of sports history.

1. Josh in DC - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I’m surprised this is the first time the “saving rabbbis’ wives” tags has been used.

2. IdahoMariner - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I don’t know which amuses me more, the detail that it was kosher (to allay anyone’s worries about what a rabbi’s wife might be eating at the game)or that it was London broil. We get crap for the “non-baseball food” that’s served at Safeco (local favorites sushi and salmon) but I am pretty sure that when I think baseball, I don’t think London broil. (Even here in Idaho I can get a good kosher dog and keep my grandmother happy).

3. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:58 PM

IIRC there’s a full service butcher at YSIII, I’ll leave it up to you to decide whether that’s a good thing or bad.

4. tadthebad - Apr 15, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I’m surprised Ronan Tynan (sp?) wasn’t available to help the woman.

5. JCD - Apr 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM

LOL great story, but even better commentary afterward. Well done, Craig.

6. Alex Poterack - Apr 15, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I think there should be a “ball point pen tracheotomy” tag.

7. Old Gator - Apr 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Let’s review the history of Faustian bargains in order to put the one you make to be made Borg into perspective:
    1) Hey, try this apple. It’s free. Commentary: okay, that one blew up in the vendor’s face. But the world was young and it was his first experience with profit and loss. He learned quickly.
    2) Alright, Johannes. In return for having me as your very own answer demon who will tell you everything you want to know except how come it is that I know all this stuff, your soul will belong to me for all eternity.
    3) Alright, Robert. In return for becoming the greatest Delta blues guitarist who ever lived, your girlfriend will poison you in a jealous rage and then your ass is mine.
    4) Okay, Adrian. In return for having already infected you with the syphillitc paresis that will enable you to invent Arnold Schoenberg’s twelve-tone system, you will never know the love that warms. Commentary: you can see how good he’s getting at this by now.
    5) Only the soul is immortal, Johnny. And yours belongs to me.
    6) Well now, Borg fans. In return for the privilege of rooting for an industrial-strength baseball juggernaut fueled by the worst excesses of capitalist avarice, you will become and remain assholes – for all eternity.
    There’s been a nice progression to all this, don’t you think? I’m beginning to believe that history really is deterministic.

8. Big Harold - Apr 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM

“…industrial-strength baseball juggernaut fueled by the worst excesses of capitalist avarice, …”
    That’s a lot of words to merely say the “most successful baseball franchise ever.” You’re taking this wordsmith stuff too seriously. In fact the mere mention of their name; “Yankees, conjurs up all the rquiste adjectives. Don’t over sell it, .. their the Yankees not the NL team in Florida, .. whats’s their name??? You get the point.

9. Old Gator - Apr 15, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Heh, if you’ve read my posts you know that I don’t shill for the Feesh either, much as I love ‘em, bless their underfunded little hearts. Anyway, I wasn’t referring to Manchester United in the first place. And you should notice that I never use that name to describe the Borg, so I have to take your placing the name of the NL team in Florida sous rature in stride.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester