Apr 15, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
Many people assumed that the Mets, obviously short of starting pitching, would go after Joel Piniero last winter. According to the Daily News, first among them was Joel Piniero.
The Mets’ Alex Cora is reportedly tight with Omar Minaya, and he told Piniero that the Mets were definitely going to try to sign him. But they didn’t. When it was all said and done the Mets — after a long period of inactivity — offered $15 million over two years after the Angels’ $16 million offer and that was that. Says Piniero “Alex was telling me (it was going to happen). I was like, ‘all right, I’m just waiting for that good thing
to happen, and I’m ready to go,’ but it never came . . . it was just weird.” Assuming the bit about Cora is true, this sounds to me like Omar Minaya wanted Piniero but was overruled by Jeff Wilpon, with the $15 million offer coming in late for the sake of appearances.
After Piniero made the Yankees’ look like minor leaguers with that sinkerball yesterday, you can’t help but think that the Mets weren’t exactly taking the long view of things in that negotiation. Shocking, I know.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)