Apr 15, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
Many people assumed that the Mets, obviously short of starting pitching, would go after Joel Piniero last winter. According to the Daily News, first among them was Joel Piniero.
The Mets’ Alex Cora is reportedly tight with Omar Minaya, and he told Piniero that the Mets were definitely going to try to sign him. But they didn’t. When it was all said and done the Mets — after a long period of inactivity — offered $15 million over two years after the Angels’ $16 million offer and that was that. Says Piniero “Alex was telling me (it was going to happen). I was like, ‘all right, I’m just waiting for that good thing
to happen, and I’m ready to go,’ but it never came . . . it was just weird.” Assuming the bit about Cora is true, this sounds to me like Omar Minaya wanted Piniero but was overruled by Jeff Wilpon, with the $15 million offer coming in late for the sake of appearances.
After Piniero made the Yankees’ look like minor leaguers with that sinkerball yesterday, you can’t help but think that the Mets weren’t exactly taking the long view of things in that negotiation. Shocking, I know.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (253)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)