Apr 15, 2010, 3:16 PM EST
Many people assumed that the Mets, obviously short of starting pitching, would go after Joel Piniero last winter. According to the Daily News, first among them was Joel Piniero.
The Mets’ Alex Cora is reportedly tight with Omar Minaya, and he told Piniero that the Mets were definitely going to try to sign him. But they didn’t. When it was all said and done the Mets — after a long period of inactivity — offered $15 million over two years after the Angels’ $16 million offer and that was that. Says Piniero “Alex was telling me (it was going to happen). I was like, ‘all right, I’m just waiting for that good thing
to happen, and I’m ready to go,’ but it never came . . . it was just weird.” Assuming the bit about Cora is true, this sounds to me like Omar Minaya wanted Piniero but was overruled by Jeff Wilpon, with the $15 million offer coming in late for the sake of appearances.
After Piniero made the Yankees’ look like minor leaguers with that sinkerball yesterday, you can’t help but think that the Mets weren’t exactly taking the long view of things in that negotiation. Shocking, I know.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)