Apr 15, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
Many people assumed that the Mets, obviously short of starting pitching, would go after Joel Piniero last winter. According to the Daily News, first among them was Joel Piniero.
The Mets’ Alex Cora is reportedly tight with Omar Minaya, and he told Piniero that the Mets were definitely going to try to sign him. But they didn’t. When it was all said and done the Mets — after a long period of inactivity — offered $15 million over two years after the Angels’ $16 million offer and that was that. Says Piniero “Alex was telling me (it was going to happen). I was like, ‘all right, I’m just waiting for that good thing
to happen, and I’m ready to go,’ but it never came . . . it was just weird.” Assuming the bit about Cora is true, this sounds to me like Omar Minaya wanted Piniero but was overruled by Jeff Wilpon, with the $15 million offer coming in late for the sake of appearances.
After Piniero made the Yankees’ look like minor leaguers with that sinkerball yesterday, you can’t help but think that the Mets weren’t exactly taking the long view of things in that negotiation. Shocking, I know.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 22
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)