Apr 15, 2010, 5:13 PM EST
Rough day for Boston. First they got abused by Francisco Liriano, and now their starting centerfielder is, as we speak, sitting in a Minnesota hospital being checked for appendicitis after experiencing lower abdominal pain before the game. He was scratched, with the team thinking it was a muscle strain, but that may not be the case. Cameron is missing the team flight back to Boston.
The guy who would play centerfield if Cameron has to have his appendix taken out is Jacoby Ellsbury. Unfortunately he’s not doing well either. Initially thought to be good to go by tomorrow, Ellsbury said he’s still hurting. “I still can’t really take a deep breath, I get a sharp
pain,” Ellsbury told the Boston Herald’s Michael Silverman. Ellsbury took 15-20 swings off a tee today at 10 percent effort, Silverman reports, and Ellsbury might have to go on the disabled list.
If both Cameron and Ellsbury are out, Bill Hall, who played center today, likely takes over. I suppose J.D. Drew could play there too if need be, but no sense messing with everyone when you can only mess with one guy.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)