Apr 15, 2010, 5:13 PM EST
Rough day for Boston. First they got abused by Francisco Liriano, and now their starting centerfielder is, as we speak, sitting in a Minnesota hospital being checked for appendicitis after experiencing lower abdominal pain before the game. He was scratched, with the team thinking it was a muscle strain, but that may not be the case. Cameron is missing the team flight back to Boston.
The guy who would play centerfield if Cameron has to have his appendix taken out is Jacoby Ellsbury. Unfortunately he’s not doing well either. Initially thought to be good to go by tomorrow, Ellsbury said he’s still hurting. “I still can’t really take a deep breath, I get a sharp
pain,” Ellsbury told the Boston Herald’s Michael Silverman. Ellsbury took 15-20 swings off a tee today at 10 percent effort, Silverman reports, and Ellsbury might have to go on the disabled list.
If both Cameron and Ellsbury are out, Bill Hall, who played center today, likely takes over. I suppose J.D. Drew could play there too if need be, but no sense messing with everyone when you can only mess with one guy.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (301)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)