Apr 15, 2010, 5:13 PM EDT
Rough day for Boston. First they got abused by Francisco Liriano, and now their starting centerfielder is, as we speak, sitting in a Minnesota hospital being checked for appendicitis after experiencing lower abdominal pain before the game. He was scratched, with the team thinking it was a muscle strain, but that may not be the case. Cameron is missing the team flight back to Boston.
The guy who would play centerfield if Cameron has to have his appendix taken out is Jacoby Ellsbury. Unfortunately he’s not doing well either. Initially thought to be good to go by tomorrow, Ellsbury said he’s still hurting. “I still can’t really take a deep breath, I get a sharp
pain,” Ellsbury told the Boston Herald’s Michael Silverman. Ellsbury took 15-20 swings off a tee today at 10 percent effort, Silverman reports, and Ellsbury might have to go on the disabled list.
If both Cameron and Ellsbury are out, Bill Hall, who played center today, likely takes over. I suppose J.D. Drew could play there too if need be, but no sense messing with everyone when you can only mess with one guy.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)