Apr 15, 2010, 5:13 PM EST
Rough day for Boston. First they got abused by Francisco Liriano, and now their starting centerfielder is, as we speak, sitting in a Minnesota hospital being checked for appendicitis after experiencing lower abdominal pain before the game. He was scratched, with the team thinking it was a muscle strain, but that may not be the case. Cameron is missing the team flight back to Boston.
The guy who would play centerfield if Cameron has to have his appendix taken out is Jacoby Ellsbury. Unfortunately he’s not doing well either. Initially thought to be good to go by tomorrow, Ellsbury said he’s still hurting. “I still can’t really take a deep breath, I get a sharp
pain,” Ellsbury told the Boston Herald’s Michael Silverman. Ellsbury took 15-20 swings off a tee today at 10 percent effort, Silverman reports, and Ellsbury might have to go on the disabled list.
If both Cameron and Ellsbury are out, Bill Hall, who played center today, likely takes over. I suppose J.D. Drew could play there too if need be, but no sense messing with everyone when you can only mess with one guy.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 0
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 154
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (154)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (70)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)