Apr 15, 2010, 5:13 PM EDT
Rough day for Boston. First they got abused by Francisco Liriano, and now their starting centerfielder is, as we speak, sitting in a Minnesota hospital being checked for appendicitis after experiencing lower abdominal pain before the game. He was scratched, with the team thinking it was a muscle strain, but that may not be the case. Cameron is missing the team flight back to Boston.
The guy who would play centerfield if Cameron has to have his appendix taken out is Jacoby Ellsbury. Unfortunately he’s not doing well either. Initially thought to be good to go by tomorrow, Ellsbury said he’s still hurting. “I still can’t really take a deep breath, I get a sharp
pain,” Ellsbury told the Boston Herald’s Michael Silverman. Ellsbury took 15-20 swings off a tee today at 10 percent effort, Silverman reports, and Ellsbury might have to go on the disabled list.
If both Cameron and Ellsbury are out, Bill Hall, who played center today, likely takes over. I suppose J.D. Drew could play there too if need be, but no sense messing with everyone when you can only mess with one guy.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)