No kidding: David Ortiz is being sued by Jay-Z

Apr 15, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT

According to ABCNews.com, hip-hop mogul Jay-Z (and his associates) filed a suit Thursday in Manhattan federal court accusing Red Sox first baseman David Ortiz of “marketplace confusion and damage” for opening a “Forty/Forty” night club in the Dominican Republic.

Jay-Z owns like-named “40/40″ clubs in New York City, Las Vegas and Atlantic City along with business partner Juan Perez.

“David Ortiz is fully aware of plaintiff’s Manhattan 40/40
Club, since he had been a patron there on several occasions long before
he opened his infringing Forty/Forty Club,” reads the suit.

Jay-Z is well known for being a Yankees fan, and even claims to have made the “Yankee cap more famous than a Yankee can,” in the criminally overplayed “Empire State of Mind.”  There’s probably a joke to be made here about New York pulling a fast one on Boston, or the Red Sox copying off the Yankees yet again, but this story really is plenty funny all by itself.  And Big Papi is struggling enough at the plate.

1. phillip belcher - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM

thats’s why our youth is they way there listening to all that rap and hip. very violet music.If i had to listen to J-z or get shoot, i would say bring out the gun!

2. Olivia - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Jay-Z I have 3 words for you GET OVER IT. Some people just need all the attenyion they can get.

3. Beeisit - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Ya’ll stop hatin’ on my man Jay-Z. The man own’s the club’s name, and Lil’ papi knows it. If it were your place of business, you would feel the same. YOU GO JIGGA!!!

4. Heidi - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:45 AM

I am a life long Red Sox fan and have a few things to say about this: (1) David Ortiz should concentrate on baseball and stop worrying about opening restaurants and nightclubs, unless he’s planning his retirement because he’s sucking wind right now.
    (2) Sorry, can’t seem to classify Jay-Z as an entertainer.
    (3) That being said, if Jay-Z has that name trademarked it belongs to him. David Ortiz has no case and he might as well start thinking about a new name for his nightclub no matter where it is.

5. Beeisit - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Stop hatin’ on my man Jay-Z. The man owns the name and lil’ papi knows that. If it were your business, you would be suing also. YOU GO JIGGA!!!!!!!!!!

6. Josh - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Freakin hilarious, I love it

7. CLR - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:52 AM

What does JZ’s looks have to do with his desire to protect his image and assests, please listen carefully and possiblly learn something, WHEN YOU ARE A BUSINESS OWNER AND YOU OPEN AND NAME A BUSINESS, WHAT HAPPEN IN YOU ESTABLISHMENT IS A REFLECTION OF YOU, (BECAUSE J IS A VERY SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS MAN FIRST AND FOREMOST) AND WHEN SOMEONE COMES ALONE AND OPENS AND NAMES A BUSINESS THE SAME NAME AS YOURS (REGUARDLESS TO THE LOCATION), SOME PEOPLE MAY ASSUME THAT THE BUSINESSES ARE OWNED BY THE SAME PERSON AND IF THE NEW BUSINESS (ORTIZ’S) IS NOT OPERATING UP THE THE STANDARDS OF THE ORIGINAL (JZ’S) IT COULD CAUSE A PROBLEM!!!….again I just don’t understand what he looks have to do with anything, do I detect a lot of HATERATION and if so Why is it because u a cute or broke or maybe both!!!!!!!!

8. big blue - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:53 AM

jay z looks ugly, with his big lips and nose. he came for the nasty projects and was not shit. all of a sudden he’s famous and got a lot of money but you put that faggott ass nigger in front of me with out no cops i would fuck that nigger up with his big nasty lips and his women too. he got to hide behind the cops like a pussy!

9. jean sand - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:55 AM

The only thing worse than a hater is a dumb hater. A business owner opens themselves up to liability if somone uses their name and that someone incurs a lawsuit or claim for damages. All parties under that business name will be defendants in the suit. Summary judgements (which determine that you are not liable) still cost $$$ in legal fees. So, if someone uses my business name, I’m sueing, too and I’m not a lawyer, I don’t have a lot of money, or a singing voice or a big nose. Friggin haters!

10. TNYL2Hate - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Now J is a Faggot ass Nigger and you want to fight him. Wtf does that have to do with the lawsuit? Sounds like ignorance and jealousy to me. So big blue go back to your trailor park and have sex with your sister/cousin! Then go to school and learn something about business.

11. jaicee - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Yea Robin. Jay Z is so ugly unlike Ortiz who looks nothing like a Gorilla at all! LOL. Please! Are you kidding me? And what do looks have to do with anything? Make your comment relevant or keep it to yourself. Bunch of Yankee haters on here when it’s not even a Bosux-Yankee issue.

12. Amy - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Well said Blue Balls.. I mean “Big Blue”
    You really are sick !

13. Janine - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:20 AM

he has no legal right to the name in the Domincan Republic. Simple as that!

14. Paula - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I know who you are and just because you are still having sex with your mother is no reason to write such hateful things about someone else

15. a man - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Very good, Bruce. And here is a little tidbit that I have noticed—it seems to me that every Boston fan can not spell or correctly use the English language while Yankee fans are able to use their writing skills to the maximum.
    One more point that I’d like to make. 40/40 refers to hitting 40 home runs AND stealing 40 bases in a single season. I don’t think that Ortiz has stolen 14 bases his entire career.

16. Boggs - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I do see a difference… Ortiz’ 40/40 is modeled off of 40 home runs and 40 steals… Jay Z’ is modeled off of 2 bottles of beer…

17. Go Jay-Z!!!! - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM

@ Robyn – You are so jealous, and a real hater. Oh,yeah, and a racist idiot, too. But, I guess you can’t help it, since you are the product of your trailer trash mama having sex with her trailer trash brother. Too many big words? Don’t be late for you job….cleaning toilets at McDonald’s. Jay Z has every right to sue. Go J!!!

18. Kathy - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:09 AM

No, I think you just did that to yourself!

19. Nun Ya Business - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM

robyn…. first of all, you just described your mama and your grandma. you are a retarded, jealous, bitter, envious racist pig, probably on welfare, piece of poor white trash, selling your ugly ass body on the street corner, which totally explains your comment about jay-z. now, why don’t you go wash that lice out of your greasy ass stinky hair! and you know that’s the truth!!!

20. dogrob1 - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM

OK maybe JZ isn’t the best looking guy in rap today,and maybe he is from the old school…[way back]…and maybe he can’t rap or sing and maybe he did marry home-girl to enhance his credibility,and maybe he does exhort himself beyond belief..he learned the industry,made good business decisions and became an huge entreprenuer==Now==about his judge of character the older he gets the worse he gets,becoming a business partner with an athlete whose stats and performance isn’t very convincing,why?.owned him a favor?like his swagger?long lost cuz? or maybe you let someone else do your homework? what ever the case may be he’s an ICON…BUT look what happens to icons that begin to make bad business decisions with others(MORE MONEY MORE PROBLEMS)…ONE…

21. Beth - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:17 AM

To Robyn….youcalled Jay-Z a douche bag…..you need a douche bag. I can smell you clean across the country! OMG! Now, don’t you wish you had a douche bag??????

22. Dee - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:17 AM

ROBYN YOU DUMB JACKASS WHAT DOES HIS LOOKS HAVE TO DO WITH THIS MATTER? YOU MORON!!!

23. bosox - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but has Jay-Z ever had a 40/40 season. Uh… hell no because he doesn’t play baseball so why say Ortiz only has 14 stolen bases when Jay-Z has none… Idiot

24. New Hampshire state of mind - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I’m a Red Sox fan and I like the Yankmees more than I like Jay-Z…get a real name like David or John or Mike…c’mon now…Jay-Z?wtf? Might as well be laqish-Ahh-tawnyo or something…

25. Sandra - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Why should J care if its in the dominican republic? Not like the guy opened the club next door to his and is trying to steal his business, J doesnt have a club in the DR. Also, whoever posted that J could be held responsible for the DR club is an imbecile. In order to be held accountable, your name has to be on the business and his isnt obviously. So what if this guy makes a few bucks in the DR? J makes so much money its ridiculous and to even bring this to light shows how little and greedy he actually is. Im sure he’s your Man because you are of the same race, am I right? Im not racist, dont care what color you are and arent going to make statements about white people just because im white. Your post sounds like something an ignorant gang banger would post.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3278)