No kidding: David Ortiz is being sued by Jay-Z

Apr 15, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT

According to ABCNews.com, hip-hop mogul Jay-Z (and his associates) filed a suit Thursday in Manhattan federal court accusing Red Sox first baseman David Ortiz of “marketplace confusion and damage” for opening a “Forty/Forty” night club in the Dominican Republic.

Jay-Z owns like-named “40/40″ clubs in New York City, Las Vegas and Atlantic City along with business partner Juan Perez.

“David Ortiz is fully aware of plaintiff’s Manhattan 40/40
Club, since he had been a patron there on several occasions long before
he opened his infringing Forty/Forty Club,” reads the suit.

Jay-Z is well known for being a Yankees fan, and even claims to have made the “Yankee cap more famous than a Yankee can,” in the criminally overplayed “Empire State of Mind.”  There’s probably a joke to be made here about New York pulling a fast one on Boston, or the Red Sox copying off the Yankees yet again, but this story really is plenty funny all by itself.  And Big Papi is struggling enough at the plate.

1. Evelyn - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I love the Dominican Republic!! Great food, nice people, fabulous nightlife, and the most beautiful beaches in the world!

2. CantstandRACIST - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I hate simple minded racist ass people. Some say racism is dead. It’s not dead just hiding in the closet like all of you racist on here. Get a life!!!! It’s people like you who create the drama in this world and then wonder why…..This about someone stealing a name of a business and using that name for profit in another country. If it was your business what would you do!????? PROBABLY THE SAME!!!

3. Barshawn - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:39 AM

If I created a software company in Jamaica, and named it Microsoft, nobody would say shit if Bill Gates sued me, most of you would say it was wrong for me to create a company with the same name.

4. SUSAN - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I believe and I could be wrong but 40/40 is different then Forty/Forty because one is numbers and the other is letters and like everyone said its not in the USA. GO RED SOX…………

5. Deb - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:42 AM

OMG! Little dick blue! You sound so dumb! Have you ever sat in a class room? Ever? You can’t spell. You have no grammar skills. You have no reasoning skills. Your post is the absolute dumbest post I have ever read in my life. Senseless and pathetic. I’ll stop now, because I know you can’t even read my post, no less, comprehend it. It’s probably not your fault, though. You are just the product of your mother having lots and lots of sex with her brother. No, it’s not your fault, poor retard. It’s in your DNA. You were destined to be a retard from the moment of conception.

6. Janice - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM

So true!

7. j.b. - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Excellent post!!!

8. margiemartinez - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM

you hater jayz is god !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. EDward - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM

STUPID NIGGER.

10. Paul - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM

What has his lack of musical talent and ugly face have to do with this lawsuit? Sure he can’t sing,he is butt ugly,has no actual music ability but he is rich and has some niteclubs. I have no idea about any of his socalled songs except to say if I hear one I turn it off,it’s just noise and juvenile lyrics,basically garbage. However you still can’t use a name so close to the one he uses for his clubs. His music is a rung below Navajo music you hear out in Arizone,really unlistenable gibberish at best

11. Preston - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:53 AM

His numbers speak for it self. Plus you don’t understand the words he speak. So i could understand why you choose to be a hater with a degree. Don’t forget he benefit off of people like yourself as well (haters).

12. Ryan - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Calm down Malcom X! Racism will always exsist in our society. As long as people are different sizes, colors or whatever. Stop pretending we are all the same. We are all different. Embrace it!! I owe you nothing..

13. Big Miz - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Jay-Z doesnt care about nothing but money and power. His video Forever Young was shot using my lil nephew’s youth football team and he didnt give them dime after. He could have at least brought them some new uniforms, some equipment, a new football nothing. Dude only cares about himself because he sold his soul to the devil.

14. BIG WORM - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:03 PM

WHAT UP BIG HOMIE? I KNO YOU READ DIS SHIT! THEY SOME HATERS HUH? YEA I KNO, JUS KEEP DOING YA THING CUZ, AND TELL THEM I’M SUPPOSE TO BE NUMBER ONE ON EVERYBODY’S LIST LET’S SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I NO LONGER EXIST! HOV!

15. Ryan - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Hey! Speak English MF! English. Save the Ebonics for your “homies”.

16. marla Wigon - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Racist…

17. LIL LADY - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM

1.THIS IS A LAWSUIT NOT A BEAUTY CONTEST! LOOKS DONT MATTER RIGHT NOW… BOTH MEN ARE UNATTRACTIVE.
    2. DAVID ORTIZ HAS BEEN TO SHAWN CARTER’S(JAY-Z) ESTABLISHMENT MORE THAN ONCE AND KNOWS HOW POPULAR IT IS. I’M SURE MR. ORTIZ IS HOPING PEOPLE WILL COME TO HIS NIGHTCLUB THINKING THERE IS SOME CONNECTION TO MR. CARTER.
    3. NO JAY-Z WILL NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS IN D.R. BUT THE NAME ASSOCIATION WILL MAKE PEOPLE THINK TWICE ABOUT GOING TO ANY OF THE LOCATIONS IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG.
    4. LAST WHAT DOES RACE HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING??? AS FAR AS SOCIETY IS CONCERNED THEY ARE BOTH MINORITIES!
    JUST LIKE YOU & I HAVE THE RIGHT TO PROTECT & FIGHT FOR WHAT WE HAVE THESE MEN CAN DO THE SAME………

18. phillyfan - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Finally a comment worth reading, I totally hate RAP, and the Yankees, The BoSox are also on that list, but, and I stress the BUT… Jay-Z is well within his right to sue, Ortiz, a once great ball player, knew he was infringing…
    Both are obviously very Talented in their fields… Thier fans show that to be the case.
    Well put CHAZ64

19. Ryan - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:12 PM

How typical. Of course you think everything is about money and power! Live in the hood with mom but drive a Caddy and wear a thousand dollar gold chain. Jay Z and Beyonce run the music, entertainment and clothing industry? Wow. Take a look outside your little BLACK BOX once in a while “homey”.

20. Carla - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:14 PM

What does looks have to do with this. His money is green and long, nobody will contest that. If you had a business would you really want someone to use your name that you had established? how many douchebags do you know that’s a millionnaire?

21. Edumacated - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Wow Phillip, where to begin. How about from where you start. Your poor spelling, numerous grammatical errors, and close minded ignorance is what is the problem these days. If more people would impress upon the youth the importance of a quality education and APPLYING it to their everyday life and speech it would be a great start to improving this country. Next getting all the racists (such as those who appear commenting on this page)to quit their hate-filled rhetoric, stop stereotyping,and pretending to be sincere when their comments show their true self-loathing nature. Next no one forces you to listen to rap or hip-hop if you dislike it, don’t listen. To call it “crap” because it doesn’t fit your taste is truly ignorant. I dislike the banjo strummin’ music your inbred cousins in Virginia listen to, but I wouldn’t call it crap. Alot of the comments on this page are just as unbelievably stupid as yours so don’t feel too bad. Kiss your mom/sister goodnight and read a book you big dummy.

22. Edumacated - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM

23. Stephanie VanHusen - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I pray for you IGNORANT UNEDUCATED HILL BILLY red necks. There is a special trailer park,cousin screwing,NON-TALENTED country western singing place for you in hell. This was a LEGAL matter and some of you have managed to miss THAT point and turned this into something else. Do us all a favor, if you can’t contribute something intelligent to the discussion, find another forum to spew your racist, idiotic comments.

24. bop - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I am a Jay-Z fan but he is rich enough, so he should stop being greedy and leave it alone. The club is located in a total different country since when do u patent anything and in other countries it counts plz….. Jay-Z’s clubs are no modern day huge corporation its just a club. Itz a shame what this world comes to when humans are fightin over names when there are more serious things to dispute over in this world.

25. Carla - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Edward get out of the 50′s. African American’s are just as important as you white people. For God’s sake This country is ran by an highly intelligent African American. If you hate African-Americans that bad, maybe you need to move to an all white country, OOPs no such country exist. Deal with it, stupid ass.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3958)