No kidding: David Ortiz is being sued by Jay-Z

Apr 15, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT

According to ABCNews.com, hip-hop mogul Jay-Z (and his associates) filed a suit Thursday in Manhattan federal court accusing Red Sox first baseman David Ortiz of “marketplace confusion and damage” for opening a “Forty/Forty” night club in the Dominican Republic.

Jay-Z owns like-named “40/40″ clubs in New York City, Las Vegas and Atlantic City along with business partner Juan Perez.

“David Ortiz is fully aware of plaintiff’s Manhattan 40/40
Club, since he had been a patron there on several occasions long before
he opened his infringing Forty/Forty Club,” reads the suit.

Jay-Z is well known for being a Yankees fan, and even claims to have made the “Yankee cap more famous than a Yankee can,” in the criminally overplayed “Empire State of Mind.”  There’s probably a joke to be made here about New York pulling a fast one on Boston, or the Red Sox copying off the Yankees yet again, but this story really is plenty funny all by itself.  And Big Papi is struggling enough at the plate.

1. Stephanie VanHusen - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Silly little white nigger.

2. MIKE A. - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM

This reminds me of the crapola made by Spike Lee a while back with the Spike Network, which, of course, was laughed out of court in a Nuu Yawk Minute.. I personally find myself amused by Jay Zee – why, I don’t know- I hate rap, I don’t think it should be labeled as “music”, and I don’t think that he has any legal rights to the name in a foreign country, so, Spike, meet Jay Zee – Jay Zee, meet Spike……..

3. james - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:29 PM

ortiz should call his place 80/80 cause its twice as good as jay-z cum-stained chair,dead hooker in the ally,vomit stained bathroom,shit hole of a joint!

4. nasty - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:29 PM

F*@K Gay z n F*@K tha yankees thats all i got to say…BEANTOWNNNN

5. red sox fan - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:29 PM

mike, because they can spell douche-bag. that’s why

6. nan - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Just because the club is in another country, having the same name implies it might be jay-z club. What if in the future he opens other clubs in other countries. If people hate Ortiz club and they think it’s Jay-Z. he could loose business. Think about coke and Nike you because of the name where ever you go, you know if you buy the product it’s good. The name means a lot!

7. LUIS - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:43 PM

never heard of either one of the koons.

8. Stephanie VanHusen - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:43 PM

You may think that your tiny mind and small words hurt those of a different race however it doesn’t. It only mirrors your ignorance and your rage and jealousy of what you are not and what you will never become. I pray for YOUR kind, the weak, small minded ignorant and forever limited. What shame your parents must have for you. I pray for your redemption and that one day you are granted peace. Oh what it must be like to walk this earth knowing that you have reached your 2nd grade potential and that there is nothing further for you out there. Go with God, and ask for his forgiveness small ignorant insignificant little “man” I mean BOY.

9. proud to be black - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:45 PM

it is people like u that are not fit to be among society u use d n word or u forget who is in the white house u racist.

10. Maddie - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:06 PM

OMG….
    Really. I can’t even believe this is fodder! Jay-Z is just proving to all he’s a Jackass. He has NO Claim. Its another country for christ sake!
    Get over yourself Jay-Z. You’re fortunate to have made it big, you are a NO TALENT boy from the hood who has worked the system.

11. Boggs - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:10 PM

And what exactly is a Jay-Z??? Sorry, not in my reality… This is a baseball area, right??? I know who Dave Ortiz is… I have no f’king idea what a (insert real name) is… lol…

12. adam - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM

this show jay-z’s ignorance..for starters hes a laim rapper,his ego is WAY bigger than his talent..E-40 is a million times better,second if he had any bit of an education held know the 40(fourty) and forty arent the same thing so not sure how well he do in this suit,oh yeah 1 more thing,im a sox fan but theres no way u “make a yankee hat more famous than a yankee can”,do names like Mantle,Maris,Ruth,Berra,Munson,Jeter just to name a few ring any kind of a bell..get a life and go have ugly kids with ur wife

13. Amanda - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I find the backlash to Robyn’s comment amazing. Some of your responses to her are waaay more racist and out of line then her comment even comes close to being. Not to mention some of you who used the N word and said other disgusting things on these boards. She did not attack his race, she attacked his looks. She just commented how Jay Z is FUGLY. Come on now admit it! He is UGLY! And I am not a racist at all. I’ve dated black guys, have black family members and close friends. I think we should all start being more civil to each other. Also, let’s stop feeling sorry for both Jay Z and Papi. They both have more money then many of us will ever make in this lifetime.

14. bILLY bOB fOrD - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Just put jz next to Joe Camel and you will see that they came from the same mama,,,almost twins.

15. Jkk - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:24 PM

No Stupid , Jay – Z Is Suing For Infringement By Some Stupid Red Sox Dude , Who Decided To Make A Club In D R For His Own Money Under Jay – Z ‘s Already Established Name . Thats Not Being A Douche Bag . . Just Proving That Your An Idiot For Saying That .

16. omar damn right romero - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:28 PM

technically its not the same name… in the US its 40/40 (forty forty) and in the Dominican Republic its 40/40 (cuarenta cuarenta). By the way without the yankees there would have been no hat for your nigger nugget nappy headed ass, obviously its already famous if you decide to wear it and include it in your lame lyrics.

17. Billy bob - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:30 PM

At lEaSt I know who my Daddys are , they all stay in my trailer with my sisters,, i meen my moms,, or whoever dey are..

18. Spirit - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Oh dayuuuuuuuum BigBlue…You sound like a jealous ass homo. A real bitch. Dayuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum

19. Truth Be Told - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:49 PM

For one, to all you hating cocksuckers, Jay is the greatest rapper alive. Second, if I decided to open a fast food restaurant named MacDonald’s you better believe McDonald’s would sue me. That’s the whole point of owning the rights to something DUMMIES! Sounds like a bunch a ignorant bigot jiberish in most of your comments if you ask me.

20. JanesLaw - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Trademarks have to be 10% different – Do you think 40/40 is 10% differen from forty/forty?

21. bunkie - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

For someone who trumpets his mastery of the English language, you could use a lesson in sentence structure. I suggest re-reading Strunk and White. A quick lookup of the word irony might also be in order.
    And to all those who disparage Big Papi’s struggles at the plate, it is certainly true that he’s having a tough time and his retirement may be imminent. Yet one fact remains: he will forever hold a place in the hearts of Red Sox fans for turning around the 2004 series against the Yankees. No present-day issues can ever erase that moment. The fact that it sticks in the craw of so many Yankees fans makes it doubly sweet.

22. AtoZ - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM

am i the only rap fan who thinks jay-z sucks…

23. JOE - Apr 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Well well well, copyright infringements in Dominican Republic, the last time I checked the 50 States,D.R was not one of Them. Some Attorney should make bank on this one.

24. Bobby Sands - Apr 17, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Its just business !!You steal a name you will pay.

25. Gary - Apr 17, 2010 at 2:07 PM

So much hatred and anger in this country. Can’t you people see what obama has done to all of us? He has turned us on one another and sparked a race war. God help us, and while you’re at it, take out that son of a bitch. AMEN P.S. Just in case the war does start, I”M PACKIN!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3984)