Apr 15, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Miguel Montero is undergoing knee surgery today, but the Diamondbacks got some relatively good news in that no ligament damage was found. That means rather than potentially missing the entire season Montero is expected to be out for 4-6 weeks with a torn meniscus.
Chris Snyder was the Diamondbacks’ primary catcher from 2005 until Montero’s breakout last year, so Arizona is as well-equipped as any team to be without their starting backstop for a month or two.
Prior to struggling last season Snyder batted .251 with a .346 on-base percentage and .438 slugging percentage in 997 plate appearances over the previous three seasons, which puts him solidly above average for a catcher. He’s also thrown out 32 percent of steal attempts for his career.
Obviously losing one of the team’s best players for 4-6 weeks is never a good thing, but if Snyder can impress while filling in the Diamondbacks might be able to swap him for some decent value around the trade deadline after having trouble finding an acceptable return for him all offseason. If he shows his 2006-2008 form, Snyder would be an upgrade behind the plate for quite a few teams.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 6
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 32
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)