Apr 15, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Miguel Montero is undergoing knee surgery today, but the Diamondbacks got some relatively good news in that no ligament damage was found. That means rather than potentially missing the entire season Montero is expected to be out for 4-6 weeks with a torn meniscus.
Chris Snyder was the Diamondbacks’ primary catcher from 2005 until Montero’s breakout last year, so Arizona is as well-equipped as any team to be without their starting backstop for a month or two.
Prior to struggling last season Snyder batted .251 with a .346 on-base percentage and .438 slugging percentage in 997 plate appearances over the previous three seasons, which puts him solidly above average for a catcher. He’s also thrown out 32 percent of steal attempts for his career.
Obviously losing one of the team’s best players for 4-6 weeks is never a good thing, but if Snyder can impress while filling in the Diamondbacks might be able to swap him for some decent value around the trade deadline after having trouble finding an acceptable return for him all offseason. If he shows his 2006-2008 form, Snyder would be an upgrade behind the plate for quite a few teams.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)