Apr 15, 2010, 9:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: We now know what the Giants are getting in return: a player to be named later or cash, according to Schulman.
UPDATE, 9:39pm: Schulman says Lewis is now confirming the report via his own Facebook page. He’s headed to Toronto.
8:56pm: According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, a trade between the Giants and Blue Jays involving outfielder Fred Lewis “seems imminent.”
Schulman has heard whispers from sources and believes the trade makes sense for various reasons.
He’s right. The Blue Jays could use a speedy, reliable utility outfielder and Lewis should do well on the Rogers Centre turf. He never really got comfortable in San Fran, and even asked for a trade at one point last year. But he was fairly reliable at the plate, batting .258/.348/.390 with four home runs, 20 RBI and eight stolen bases in 295 at-bats, and can cover ground in the outfield. A change of scenery might do him some good.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)