Apr 15, 2010, 9:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: We now know what the Giants are getting in return: a player to be named later or cash, according to Schulman.
UPDATE, 9:39pm: Schulman says Lewis is now confirming the report via his own Facebook page. He’s headed to Toronto.
8:56pm: According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, a trade between the Giants and Blue Jays involving outfielder Fred Lewis “seems imminent.”
Schulman has heard whispers from sources and believes the trade makes sense for various reasons.
He’s right. The Blue Jays could use a speedy, reliable utility outfielder and Lewis should do well on the Rogers Centre turf. He never really got comfortable in San Fran, and even asked for a trade at one point last year. But he was fairly reliable at the plate, batting .258/.348/.390 with four home runs, 20 RBI and eight stolen bases in 295 at-bats, and can cover ground in the outfield. A change of scenery might do him some good.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)