Apr 15, 2010, 9:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: We now know what the Giants are getting in return: a player to be named later or cash, according to Schulman.
UPDATE, 9:39pm: Schulman says Lewis is now confirming the report via his own Facebook page. He’s headed to Toronto.
8:56pm: According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, a trade between the Giants and Blue Jays involving outfielder Fred Lewis “seems imminent.”
Schulman has heard whispers from sources and believes the trade makes sense for various reasons.
He’s right. The Blue Jays could use a speedy, reliable utility outfielder and Lewis should do well on the Rogers Centre turf. He never really got comfortable in San Fran, and even asked for a trade at one point last year. But he was fairly reliable at the plate, batting .258/.348/.390 with four home runs, 20 RBI and eight stolen bases in 295 at-bats, and can cover ground in the outfield. A change of scenery might do him some good.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)