Apr 15, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
My friend The Common Man is reviewing baseball team nicknames to see how their literal definition and description fits the teams to which they are applied. For example, blue jays, as birds, are kind of the jerks of the avian world, pushing out competitors whenever possible (query: did this contribute to the Expos leaving Canada?). Similarly, Cardinals, the birds, are non-migratory, which may bode well for Albert Pujols staying put as opposed to finding more fertile feeding grounds.
I’m not sure that TCM is going to get to them all — there’s scant scientific data on the traits of “metropolitans” and most varieties of “sox” — but it should be enjoyable while it lasts.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)