Apr 15, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
My friend The Common Man is reviewing baseball team nicknames to see how their literal definition and description fits the teams to which they are applied. For example, blue jays, as birds, are kind of the jerks of the avian world, pushing out competitors whenever possible (query: did this contribute to the Expos leaving Canada?). Similarly, Cardinals, the birds, are non-migratory, which may bode well for Albert Pujols staying put as opposed to finding more fertile feeding grounds.
I’m not sure that TCM is going to get to them all — there’s scant scientific data on the traits of “metropolitans” and most varieties of “sox” — but it should be enjoyable while it lasts.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 24
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 12
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 24
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 64
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)