Apr 15, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
My friend The Common Man is reviewing baseball team nicknames to see how their literal definition and description fits the teams to which they are applied. For example, blue jays, as birds, are kind of the jerks of the avian world, pushing out competitors whenever possible (query: did this contribute to the Expos leaving Canada?). Similarly, Cardinals, the birds, are non-migratory, which may bode well for Albert Pujols staying put as opposed to finding more fertile feeding grounds.
I’m not sure that TCM is going to get to them all — there’s scant scientific data on the traits of “metropolitans” and most varieties of “sox” — but it should be enjoyable while it lasts.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 10
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 124
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)