Apr 15, 2010, 3:41 PM EST
Russ Ortiz took the loss in last night’s marathon Dodgers-Diamondbacks game, but a terrible play from Matt Kemp in center field was actually to blame. With that said, at this point any major-league team using Russ Ortiz in a game that counts in the standings probably deserves to lose.
Ortiz went 103-60 with a 4.00 ERA in 1,341 innings through age 30, including 21 wins and a fourth-place Cy Young finish for the Braves in 2003. However, since then he’s gone 10-29 with a 6.59 ERA and putrid 185/177 K/BB ratio in 317 innings while pitching for five different teams, posting yearly ERAs of 6.89, 8.14, 5.51, 5.57, and now 8.31.
So if the Dodgers are in the 11th inning of a 7-7 game and want to use a 36-year-old pitcher who hasn’t had an ERA under 5.00 since 2004 … well, they deserve what they got. Heck, before turning to Russ Ortiz in extra innings they used Ramon Ortiz to get two outs in the seventh inning. He’ll be 37 years old next month, has allowed five runs in 4.1 innings so far this season, and hasn’t had an ERA under 5.00 since 2004.
I’ll never understand why teams keep giving chances to washed-up (and then some) veterans like Russ and Ramon Ortiz (or Sidney Ponson for another prime example) when they’d probably be better off just randomly picking a different pitcher off a Triple-A roster. You’re telling me there aren’t a couple 20-somethings in the Dodgers’ farm system who could do a better job than the geriatric Ortiz boys?
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (330)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)