The Dodgers and Dbacks make the Yankees and Red Sox look fast

Apr 15, 2010, 11:27 AM EDT

One outlier of a game is not enough to say that Major League Baseball’s efforts at speeding things up are futile, but last night’s Dodgers-Dbacks game is probably worth pointing out if for no other reason than to show that long games are not the exclusive province of the Yankees and Red Sox.

Extra innings? Sure, but the game would have clocked in at around four hours even if it had only gone nine. The longest game in Dodgers history, at least in terms of hours, was only a half hour longer than last night’s affair, but it lasted for nineteen innings.

I just hope that Joe West wasn’t watching from whatever hotel he was in last night. He might have plotzed.

1. closer - Apr 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I think that “outlier” is a poor word choice. Do you mean aberration? You can blame the baader-meinhof effect of “outlier” on gladwell, and i wouldn’t bring it up but for the etymological tirade a couple posts ago.

2. IdahoMariner - Apr 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM

“closer”‘s concerns about your use of the word “outlier” notwithstanding, I was just going to give you extra points for the correct use of “plotzed”.

3. scatterbrian - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:33 PM

That game also had 33 hits, 12 walks, a couple errors, 16 runs and 16 freakin’ pitchers. Regarding these recent length of game pieces people have been posting, it would be a lot more informative to base the times according to pitches per game or base-runners per game. Just saying “Yankees/Red Sox games take too long” ignores the idea that they probably have more base-runners and as a result throw more pitches per game than average.

4. Paul - Apr 15, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I was at that Bataan Death March of a game last night with a friend…we left at the top of the ninth because, well, we had to go to work this morning. The strange thing is, I couldn’t quite figure out where the time went during the first 6 innings. It’s not like there was an inordinate amount of time wasting on the pitchers’ and hitters’ parts that I could see (other than Billingsley and Lopez refusing to throw strikes), and yet those first 6 innings took over 3 hours to complete. Yeah, there was an interlude where the second base bag came loose, and the grounds-crew spent at least 15 minutes fixing it, but that didn’t account for all the time wasted.
    After both starters came out is when we really started to notice the drag as Torre and Hinch each went nuts with the mound visits and relief pitchers. One of the catchers even visited the mound twice before going into a crouch…he went out to talk to the pitcher with a runner on second, went back to the plate, and then turned right around and visited the pitcher again.
    Oh, and to add insult to injury, I had Billingsley starting for my fantasy baseball team. Argh.

5. BostonGuy - Apr 15, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Joe West can suck my balls…

6. Route36West - Apr 15, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Joe West was in Philly last night and My God no wonder Yankees and Red Sox games take so long when hes calling them.
    HE NEVER CALLS STRIKES. And Im not just saying this b/c the Phillies have gave up a TON of walks hes doing it to both teams.
    This guy has a 4 inch radius around the center of the plate that are strikes everything else is a ball.
    There have probably been 25 pitches already that should have been called strikes that he called balls and its only the bottom of the 6th.
    If I was the Yankees and the Redsox I would make a highlight tape of every strike West calls a ball at the end of the year and to show how much time he wastes. Then maybe the guy will stop blaming other people for his mistakes.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (4225)