Apr 15, 2010, 11:27 AM EDT
One outlier of a game is not enough to say that Major League Baseball’s efforts at speeding things up are futile, but last night’s Dodgers-Dbacks game is probably worth pointing out if for no other reason than to show that long games are not the exclusive province of the Yankees and Red Sox.
Extra innings? Sure, but the game would have clocked in at around four hours even if it had only gone nine. The longest game in Dodgers history, at least in terms of hours, was only a half hour longer than last night’s affair, but it lasted for nineteen innings.
I just hope that Joe West wasn’t watching from whatever hotel he was in last night. He might have plotzed.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)