Apr 15, 2010, 11:27 AM EDT
One outlier of a game is not enough to say that Major League Baseball’s efforts at speeding things up are futile, but last night’s Dodgers-Dbacks game is probably worth pointing out if for no other reason than to show that long games are not the exclusive province of the Yankees and Red Sox.
Extra innings? Sure, but the game would have clocked in at around four hours even if it had only gone nine. The longest game in Dodgers history, at least in terms of hours, was only a half hour longer than last night’s affair, but it lasted for nineteen innings.
I just hope that Joe West wasn’t watching from whatever hotel he was in last night. He might have plotzed.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 0
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 43
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)