Apr 16, 2010, 1:14 PM EDT
You may recall that I took Ken Rosenthal to task for calling Mark McGwire a “distraction” and demanding that he resign back in January. Rosenthal, however, unlike the majority of big time baseball writers out there, will admit when he’s wrong. He does that today:
In late January, when the furor over Mark McGwire was raging, I wrote,
“Unless McGwire moves to change the conversation, the noise is not going
to subside, distracting the team in spring training and beyond.”
I whiffed on that one.
McGwire did not move to change the
conversation, yet the noise did subside. He was not a distraction to the
team in spring training. He is not a distraction now.
Good for Ken.
Even better for Ken is that later in today’s column he questions just how long we should hold grudges against PED-implicated players. He doesn’t ask that we condone their acts — and no one should condone them — but he appreciates that the choices facing these guys during that time were not black and white. Indeed, Rosenthal eben uses the phrase “black and white,” which pretty much sums up my views on the matter (i.e. it’s not one of those colors). If he weren’t in St. Louis getting ready to cover tomorrow’s
Cards-Dodgers Cards-Mets game, I’d kiss him.
Um, OK, maybe not. But good for him for displaying some refreshing thought and consideration on a subject that so rarely lends itself to such a thing.
Gee, between the Ron Washington thing and now this, one almost gets the sense that the things that get everyone all worked up in the offseason really don’t matter as much as we like to pretend that they do.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)