Drunk charged with intentionally throwing up on little girl at Phillies game

Apr 16, 2010, 8:43 AM EDT

Yankees fans could boo Mariano Rivera and ignore choking rabbi’s wives and they still wouldn’t be as bad as this guy at the Phillies game Wednesday night:

Police arrested a Cherry Hill man after he was accused of intentionally
vomiting on a young girl at the Phillies game Wednesday evening.

I’m not going to go to the mat to defend this guy, but the “intentional” part of this doesn’t pass the smell test. He sounds like he was drunk and stupid and should have totally been arrested for disorderly conduct and what have you, but I’m having a hard time getting my mind around the idea of anyone, even the worst of the worst college-age drunks, intentionally trying to throw up on an 11 year-old girl.

My guess: he picked the wrong 11 year-old girl to get sick on. One with a father who made quite a compelling case to the cops about the intentions of the drunk, and everyone decided to go with it.

Not that I necessarily blame them for doing so.

1. WHG - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:01 AM

The way I heard it is that the off duty cop was there with his 11 YO and his 16 YO daughters. There were a bunch of drunk and rowdy guys yelling and carrying on behind them. The 16 YO asked them to stop cursing in front of her 11 YO sister, and that encouraged the guys start yelling more and to start spitting on them. The cop got security and had most of the guys booted. The ones who were left got angry and one stuck his finger down his throat and threw up on the 11 YO and the father.
    Who knows, it could just be South Philly rumors, but I dont put anything past Philadelphia fans. (15 year resident of South Philadelphia)

2. Jonny5 - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Poor little girl, I saw a picture of the guy, and he looks like he could toss up a half keg of beer. Disgusting for her no matter what.

3. Oscar - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM

According to the article, the girl’s father was an off-duty cop. And it looks from his mugshot like the drunk idiot got a nice shiner from the cop for good measure — on top of the aggravated assault charge, which I agree doesn’t pass the smell test.

4. TopChuckie - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Is “smell test” the best term to use in this case? :)

5. enough already - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Wow, CC, it’s like you got up this morning and said to yourself “hey, I think I’ll step in front of a speeding bus.” But I do applaud your efforts.

6. terry1003 - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:29 AM

This piece of sh*# should have a “no-trespass” order at that ballpark for >AT LEAST

7. KR - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Hey, it’s just part of the Faustian bargain you make when you go to Phillies games. If you’re not a Phillies fan you need to STFU.

8. Terry1003 - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Hey C.C. – does “Drunk” excuse the crime. Would a drunk driver would be excused from court because he could not control himself?

9. EZHelp4U - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I got a kick out of the shiner too. He is wearing a red shirt in the mug shot, so I have to assume this is a Phillies fan. My guess is that this poor family was there routing on the Nationals and like any typical Philadelphia fan, the response is violence, vulgarity and nothing less than disgusting behavior.

10. Tom from HotStove.com - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Amateur drinkers…always giving us old pros a bad name.

11. Jack Meoffer - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Another of the many reasons why I don’t attend any sporting events. People get way too wound up over what is basically just a game. If your team or wins or looses, nothing happens. The sun still comes up in the morning, you still go to work, NOTHING HAPPENS. But some people get way too into it because it’s the only thing in their lives. It’s scary what you see going on in a stadium when booze and a rabid sports fan meet.

12. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM

“But a great fan caught a ball and he gave it to my daughter. She slept with the ball last night and when I woke her up this morning for school, the ball was still in her hand,” Vangelo explained.

Awww. And +1 to Tom from Hotstove.com

13. Moses Green - Apr 16, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I have to ask, like the proverbial turd in the punchbowl that I always strive to be – Craigers – who’s the *right* 11-year-old girl to throw up on? Is there another Fanning in the pipeline that I’m not aware of?

14. phillyphan - Apr 16, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Actually the assumption is incorrect, as the “poor family” as you note, are Phillies fans as well. This is just the result of a group of idiots attending a game that made the news and of course casts a gray cloud over Philadelphia. We all know that nothing like this incident as well as any fights or bad press can possibly plague another city and its sports teams.

15. Evan - Apr 16, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Craig, sometimes you have to put away your legal pen and recognize that there is a “letter of the law” and “spirit of the law.”
    If you vomit on an 11 year old girl at a baseball game you deserve to have the book thrown at you.
    Craig “Devil’s Advocate” Calcaterra

16. Darryl - Apr 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Craig, according to the story, witnesses say that drunk idiot stuck his fingers down his throat in order to throw up intentionally.

17. Jeff - Apr 16, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I’ll never understand why some people think entering a ballpark is a license to discard all notions of basic human decency.
    And it’s not just Philly. These louts exist everywhere. Drink, curse, fight, repeat.

18. enough already - Apr 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM

“It’s scary what you see going on in a stadium when booze and a rabid sports fan meet.”
    I read when “booze and a rabbi sports fan meet.” I was about to get all huffy on your ass.

19. Russell - Apr 16, 2010 at 11:01 AM

It smells of a cover-up of an assault by the cop on the drunken puker. They all – the 11yo, the 16yo, the cop and the druken puker should be banned from the ball park.

20. Old Gator - Apr 16, 2010 at 11:07 AM

If you saw yet another gray cloud, it was probably the one from the Icelandic volcano. The one that’s been hanging over the archetypal Feelies fan has been there for decades. This particular moron was just a more extreme example of the rudeness, crassness and vulgarity for which Feelies fans have established a long, long, long standing reputation. Whether you think it’s deserved or not – and I can only go by the behavior of the occasional Feelies fan at Feesh games or the couple of times I attended games at the Vet, which unfortunately tells me that it is indeed deserved – that is the prevailing image out there in the world. Are Borg fans any better? Again, based on my own experience, yeah, they are – not by much, I grant you, but better.
    Feesh fans? I don’t know. There are never enough of them around so that I can hear them above the Mutts or Borg or Feelies fans, and when they’re playing teams like the Reds or Astros, there aren’t enough of them to hear over “The Marlins Will Soar” playing through the PA system.

21. Rays fan - Apr 16, 2010 at 11:58 AM

So, let me get this straight– a 16 year old girl asks someone to stop cursing in front of her 11 year old sister, the cursing jerk gags himself to puke on the 11 year old little girl, the father punches the drunk jerk…and you want the two girls and the father banned from the park too? What did the 11 year old do, besides be a victim of assault? What did the teenager do, besides ask a person to act like a human in public? What did the off-duty cop/dad do, besides defend his child against a reprehensible slimeball? I have an 11 year old daughter, and frankly feel the off duty cop let the rat bastard off easy. If it’d been my child, I’d have been under arrest because the puker would be in the hospital.

22. Old Gator - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM

23. The Rabbit - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM

“You’re either the archetypal Feelies fan I mentioned above, or you’re even dumber than some lower midwestern trailer trash buffoon in an overpriced pre-Revolutionary War Boston wagon trash costume complaining about having to pay the lowest taxes in the civilized world while spending a small fortune following a witless Tundra Trash primadonna in an overpriced Lord and Taylor fashion-forward tight skirt through which you can see her cellulite around the country (as an extenuated metaphor linking right wing rhetoric to vomiting) – or, maybe, just another bulemic in denial. Either way, your stupidity is palpable.”
    I like it. You can be my friend, too.

24. Utley's hair - Apr 16, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Russell, you are an idiot. First of all, there are at least three sides to every story. Only one of those sides represents the unadulterated truth. Is the off-duty officer’s story entirely accurate? Based on human nature to embellish a story to skew even a little bit to the teller’s own side, probably not. And I’m much more likely to believe something from a cop than a drunk who just PUKED ON AN 11-YEAR-OLD GIRL.
    Craig, you said:
    “I’m not going to go to the mat to defend this guy, but the “intentional” part of this doesn’t pass the smell test…but I’m having a hard time getting my mind around the idea of anyone, even the worst of the worst college-age drunks, intentionally trying to throw up on an 11 year-old girl.”
    My guess is that was he was aiming at the cop, and, being as blitzed as he apparently was, missed and hit the daughter. However, being the lawyer that you were, what happens if something unintended happens while someone is committing a crime?
    Gator: I find it hard to believe that Fishmanagement would actually subject the few fans that the Marlins have to that godforsaken crap of a song. Oh, and our surgeon will be serving up sushi made from your sturgeon.
    capcha: loca horsed–and no comments about horsemeat, gator.

25. Now on Drudge - Apr 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

For a nice mugshot of the Philly’s fan…

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3245)