Apr 16, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
The morning I made a half-hearted case for Bobby Valentine to take over as the Mets’ manager if and when Jerry Manuel gets fired. Part of my half-heartedness about it all was that I was agreeing with Mike Lupica, but part of it was based on the sense that while hiring Bobby Valentine could maybe make the Mets exciting again . . . hiring Bobby Valentine could make the Mets exciting again. In a bad way. Things almost always seem to end badly for Valentine, and they ended rather badly the last time he left New York.
Jon Heyman — another guy I don’t always enjoy agreeing with, but who in this case I think is right — makes the point better than I just did:
Judging by what’s being said, the most popular choice for successor
would be Bobby Valentine, who did a superb job as Mets manager in
his first go-round, from 1996 through 2002. But Mets ownership seems
reluctant to go for Valentine II, according to people who talk to them.
[Bob] Melvin did a respectable job in Arizona, where he got the team to the
NLCS in 2007 and was known as a solid guy who was very receptive to
front office suggestions. In other words, he’ll be better than Valentine
at doing exactly what the bosses say without challenging them too much.
The Mets front office wants a company man, and Bobby Valentine, for all of his wonderful traits, is not a company man.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)