Apr 16, 2010, 4:16 PM EST
The morning I made a half-hearted case for Bobby Valentine to take over as the Mets’ manager if and when Jerry Manuel gets fired. Part of my half-heartedness about it all was that I was agreeing with Mike Lupica, but part of it was based on the sense that while hiring Bobby Valentine could maybe make the Mets exciting again . . . hiring Bobby Valentine could make the Mets exciting again. In a bad way. Things almost always seem to end badly for Valentine, and they ended rather badly the last time he left New York.
Jon Heyman — another guy I don’t always enjoy agreeing with, but who in this case I think is right — makes the point better than I just did:
Judging by what’s being said, the most popular choice for successor
would be Bobby Valentine, who did a superb job as Mets manager in
his first go-round, from 1996 through 2002. But Mets ownership seems
reluctant to go for Valentine II, according to people who talk to them.
[Bob] Melvin did a respectable job in Arizona, where he got the team to the
NLCS in 2007 and was known as a solid guy who was very receptive to
front office suggestions. In other words, he’ll be better than Valentine
at doing exactly what the bosses say without challenging them too much.
The Mets front office wants a company man, and Bobby Valentine, for all of his wonderful traits, is not a company man.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 45
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)