So apparently I'm a jackass

Apr 16, 2010, 8:25 AM EST

Carton.jpgSo yesterday Craig Carton and Boomer Esiason of 660 WFAN went crazy on me for calling Yankees fans “classless and ignorant” for booing Javy Vazquez on Wednesday. The audio of that is here, beginning at around the nine minute mark.  It starts with Carton calling me a “jackass” and it goes downhill from there.  Good times!

Always a fan of great theater, I decided to call in to the show this morning.  I had no illusions that Carton would change his mind on the matter, and he most certainly did not. But rather than defend the booing on the merits — which I don’t think even he can — he decided to unload on me for being a blogger, not having a journalism background and all of that. Anyone who follows the media very much knows that’s the last refuge of someone with no argument, but there he went anyway. When I told him that Mike Lupica has a journalism background and he sucks he pulled a Francessa on me and hung up. Great theater — and basically what I expected — but telling all the same.

Carton’s main point from yesterday — that it’s the God-given right of Yankees fans to boo whoever they want to — is absolutely correct. But he has no answer for the notion that you look totally bush league when you boo a guy over six year-old failures six months after winning the World Series.  There are all sorts of things you can do if you want to. But just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

All that said, I would like to thank Carton and Boomer for having me on. The easy thing to do would be to ignore me. There are things that are more fun in the world than being hammered by talk radio guys, but (a) it was actually kind of fun on some level; and (b) the worst day of being hammered by talk radio guys about baseball stuff beats the best day in a law office defending the indefensible.

UPDATEHere’s my segment on WFAN from this morning.  I’ll leave it to you to decide who comes off better.

1. CalinCT - Apr 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Craig,
    What did Sox fans do to Buckner after 1986 for YEARS after wards, every time he entered the ballpark?
    They booed.
    Why is that?
    Because he cost them their post season (and, in the Sox case, their WS title).
    So…why are we singling out Yanks fans. It’s not a unique phenomenon to the Yanks. It’s happened with other teams, in other situations, too. It’s part of being a “passionate fan”. Not a Yanks fan…not exclusively.
    Now, the guy who did it to the Yanks in 2004 comes back, and STINKS up the joint in his first start. So he gets some boos to start the game. Then, when he starts to stink the joint up AGAIN…what does he get? What would you expect from ANY team? If you’re expecting anything different, you’re just naive. From Boston, from New York, from LA, or from Minnesota. You might NOTICE it more amongst Yankee fans, because we’re the most visible fans, on national TV just about every other week because the team we root for happens to be the biggest ratings grab in baseball.
    Now, compare Javi’s reception to the reception that Matsui got on 4/13…one of the classiest receptions I’ve ever seen in ANY ballpark to an opposing player. See, it goes both ways, here. You don’t get one passionate response without the other.

2. Mr. Bircham - Apr 16, 2010 at 12:44 PM

The best part about this, I think, is that in addition to calling you a “blogger” as if you have no credibility, and then hanging up on you, they went and misspelled Javier Vazquez’s name (and yours, elsewhere, as Craig Caleaterra) on the WFAN site you linked to: “booing starting pitcher Javier Vasquez and a NBC sports blogger…”
    “Coming up after the break, we’ll discuss Derrick Jetre, Alex Rodrequez, SeeSee Sabaphia and MaryAnn River right here on the Fan!”

3. CalinCT - Apr 16, 2010 at 12:52 PM

That GAME was on Brown and Javi. Brown was terrible, Javi was just as bad. You don’t have much of a chance to win when your starter gives up 5 in 1 1/3, and then the guy you bring in to stem the bleeding gives up 3 more.
    If you want to argue that Yanks fans should boo Kevin Brown every time he sets foot in YS, I’ll agree with you, 100%. Think you can scare him up out of retirement to do it?
    And had Javi come back, come out, and put up decent numbers his first start, likely all (OK, most) would have been forgiven. But the fact is, Javi’s pitched exacltly ONE time, prior to this, in Yankee stadium, since the 2004 debacle (in 2008, with the White Sox). There’s some pent up frustration there, and I think that’s understandable, all things considered. And I gotta say, the boos seemed somewhat subdued at the start. It wasn’t until he, again, started to struggle that the boos got louder (and as he was pulled from the game).

4. IdahoMariner - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Craig: what Linus said, me, too.
    You rock, I’m sort of glad yu hated being a lawyer so that I get to enjoy you writing about my favorite sport, but, man, the hated-being-a-lawyer schtick is a bit wearing. Possibly even to non-lawyers. (I wouldn’t know. I didn’t ask non-lawyers, so Craig Carton, go nuts on my lack of journalistic skills, you pin-headed hack.)

5. IdahoMariner - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:03 PM

and, now I’ve seen your reply to Linus. Another typically thoughtful response.
    It’s really a shame you share a first name with that little prick on WFAN. I never thought about Boomer Esiason one way or another, but now all I can think is, man he must need some cash.

6. DSFC - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Any Yankees fan that blames Javier Vazquez for the 2004 debacle is kidding themselves. The culprit is sipping green tea and picking his nose in a dugout in LA. “36 year old reliever with a history of serious arm trouble? I’ll have him make the second-most number of appearances in the AL, right behind the other middle-aged reliever whose career I’m going to run into the ground!”

7. Matt - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM

If the web is so bad how come Boomer and the Cartoon have a web site. Check it out, the highlight is “the ultimate foursome”, which apparently is Carton, his left hand, his right hand, and maybe the girl or maybe Boomer. Its hard to determine when Broadcasting Majors design the web site.
    Don’t worry about Carton. He thinks you live in the basement because he remembers the days when his mommy let him stay in the basement, putting on little radio shows with talking dolls for his other, bigger, listening dolls. He dreamed it would lead to something bigger than getting kicked out of his mom’s house for stealing her heroin, but of course that was the heroin talking.
    A couple months in the tank and then a scholarship to a Broadcasting School I presume. (“Hey Baby, once this radio medium dies I’m going to talk about sports on it in the biggest most specialist radio market in the whole wide country, with a guy who almost won a Super Bowl. Wanna touch my penis?”
    And now he’s on radio– telling 17 year old boys about all the hot chicks he saw on a magazine cover (did you see those nipples! Boy I wish the girls would talk back).
    By the way, I didn’t actually listen to the radio segment, because, well, I can read.
    So obviously I am not a Yankee fan.

8. Hamilton - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Uh, Craig.
    Coupla tings, heah. Youse is not from da Noo Yawk area, so youse do not get Noo Yawk baseball fans anymore dan dey get Ohio State footbawl fans who still tink dat Woody Hayes was a good guy and dare skool follows every NCAA rule down to da lettah.
    Youse a nice Mid-western type guy, and dat’s okay. But if youse want to swim in da deep end of da pool,heah, put on your fins and wear your goggles.
    Dat’s just how it tiz.
    Oh, and good tinkin’ suckering dem two screwbawls into lettin’ youse on dare show. You plugged your blog, and increased yiz name recognition—a sweet Noo Yawk kinda move.

9. Jeff O - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Actually, It’s fucking classless to boo any player, at anytime, for playing poorly. If they’re at least giving effort, that is ridiculous. It doesn’t matter how much they get paid. That’s the team’s fault for giving a bad player a contract.
    Craig Carton is an annoying tool, and so are all the people that decided to boo Javier. And booing Teixera? Laughable.

10. Pete - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:22 PM

God I hate New Yorkers. Get over yourselves.

11. Old Gator - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Is it just my imagination, or does Carton in that photo look just like Joe Pantoliano as Guido the Killer Pimp in Risky Business?
    Anyway, Craig, you got off easy. If Pete Franklin were still working that shift, he would have eaten you alive (and then no doubt barfed you up on some 11-year-old studio intern), and instead of being called a jackass, he’d have designated you a scumbag.

12. Senor Smoke - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM

This is why so many people resent Yankees fans; you assume that the rest of the country is as classless as you are. You mention that you expect this behavior “From Boston, from New York, from LA, or from Minnesota,” and yet I don’t remember seeing fans EVER boo one of their own in Minneapolis. Fans of teams who realize that they aren’t entitled to 162 victories understand that every player has his missteps, and booing a player won’t make him any better. And if he’s flat out awful on a consistent basis, then you should be taking issue with the front office for their poor player evaluation, rather than the player, who can only work within his own abilites (regardless of contract). So go ahead and bitch about Brian Cashman – after all, it was his choice to sign the guy. At no point did Javy Vazquez promise you excellence.

13. peepsaf - Apr 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Come get some!

14. Stone - Apr 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I don’t think you came off very well at all, Craig. You sound like a whiny v@gina on the radio. Your only argument is that the Yankees won the World Series last year and the fans shouldn’t boo Vasquez based on his previous performance in NY. That’s a weak argument, a much weaker argument than the fact that he sucked in NY previously, that NY pays big money for player, that they are a winning franchise. I still say they should boo the hell out of him if they feel like it. Calling them out was a mistake on your part and you made yourself a target of that tool on the radio. He had good points. Who are you to call out fans, what expertise do you have?

15. Michael - Apr 16, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Sports-talk Radio = cesspool.
    And LOL @ ANYONE suggesting you “need expertise” to tell stupid people they’re stupid. One of the funniest things I’ve read in a while.

16. JudyJ - Apr 16, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I have to admit – Boomer and Carton do make me laugh. Carton does drag Boomer down to a different level, though. This morning’s show – the girl reading from the script of My Cousin Vinnie – absolutely hystercal but sexist. Carton probably doesn’t realize it but we all know when he speaks a certain way he has STOLEN A PAGE OUT OF THE JACKIE GLEASON SONG BOOK. Anyone who watches or has ever watched a HONEYMOONERs’ episode knows this. Carton is a Mets’ fan and talks about the Yankees, admittedly so, only to make conversation. He is a jerk but a really funny jerk.

17. mpw - Apr 16, 2010 at 4:44 PM

you got schooled, bro

18. Ross - Apr 16, 2010 at 4:56 PM

If we are nominating “worst radio hosts” I need to throw Doug Gottlieb of ESPN into the mix. They let him stand in for Colin Cowherd sometimes and that’s an immediate cue for me to change the station. Man is an ass…and pompous besides.

19. saj - Apr 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Craig Carton has been a waste of radio waves ever since he was on NJ 101.5. The happiest day of my life was when he finally left the waves and now I have to listen to him on WFAN? I wonder how that clown still has a job.

20. Jason@IIATMS - Apr 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM

FWIW, Carton called me a “douche” during my 15 min of “Vote For Manny” fame last summer.
    I was so proud.

21. Cloudy Knight - Apr 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM

When did Red Sox ever boo Bill Buckner? They’ve probably booed the video of the ball going through his legs, but every time I remember him returning to Fenway he’s been cheered enthusiastically. He was especially cheered when he threw out the first pitch in 2005 after they won the World Series in 2004. Bill Buckner is not hated in Boston. John MacNamara . . . that’s another story.

22. Joan NYC - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Raffy
    You saved me lots of typing. I totally agree with EVERYTHING you say about WFAN . I, too, became a bigger Mike & Mike fan due to Carton. Also, I lost total respect for Boomer. The only listenable show is Joe and Evan and they are considered the stepchildren of the station.

23. AJ - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Out of that entire rant (and that’s what it was — let’s be real here), I have the most distaste for your comment about Lupica: “Lupica has a journalism background and he sucks”. Clearly, you have no concept of quality writing. Face it, you can’t hold the guys shorts! You would be wise to invest in some grammar and writing classes, because it’s painfully clear that you are writing like an 11th grader on their texting phone.
    By the way, I’m a Red Sox fan, and I don’t care who is booing and for what reason. I’ve never done that to anyone and never will, because booing, itself, is classless. Morons, I’m sorry they didn’t perform the way you wanted them to, but that’s life — everyone disappoints someone. Furthermore, I wonder how many of those booing idiots are disappointments to their parents, their kids, their spouses…? Hey, I guess it’s okay, though, since you didn’t actually vomit on anyone… right?

24. Albi - Apr 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Douche, jackass and banging seemingly constitute evidence of Carton’s journalistic schooling. Regrettably, you called into the Boomer and Carton show (the name is a misnomer) in the mistaken belief that you’d have a clever discourse. Unless it is at the gutter level, an exceptionally narcissistic and boorish Carton is unable to engage in such a thing. Kudos for trying.

25. Belsox - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:39 PM

AJ, your condescension about grammar and writing might be a bit more spot-on (though less ironic and hilarious) if your post didn’t include at least three significant grammar and usage errors.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester