Apr 16, 2010, 12:16 PM EST
Blake DeWitt won the second base job outright this spring, but he has struggled early and may soon be out of a job, writes Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times. His 0-5 on Wednesday was probably the kicker, as Dilbeck notes that Joe Torre said encouraging things about him before that game, and then yesterday (a) voiced some disapproval of DeWitt’s performance and (b) benched him for the game against the Dbacks (DeWitt did come in late, got a hit and scored the winning run).
The knock on DeWitt at second base had been his defense. Now he could get benched in favor of Ron Belliard, himself no master with the leather. No one said life is fair, I suppose.
I wasn’t a fan of him getting as many plate appearances as he did at third base in 2008, but I figured his bat could hack second and wouldn’t mind if Torre showed a bit more patience with the guy.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)