Apr 16, 2010, 12:16 PM EST
Blake DeWitt won the second base job outright this spring, but he has struggled early and may soon be out of a job, writes Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times. His 0-5 on Wednesday was probably the kicker, as Dilbeck notes that Joe Torre said encouraging things about him before that game, and then yesterday (a) voiced some disapproval of DeWitt’s performance and (b) benched him for the game against the Dbacks (DeWitt did come in late, got a hit and scored the winning run).
The knock on DeWitt at second base had been his defense. Now he could get benched in favor of Ron Belliard, himself no master with the leather. No one said life is fair, I suppose.
I wasn’t a fan of him getting as many plate appearances as he did at third base in 2008, but I figured his bat could hack second and wouldn’t mind if Torre showed a bit more patience with the guy.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)