Apr 16, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Blake DeWitt won the second base job outright this spring, but he has struggled early and may soon be out of a job, writes Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times. His 0-5 on Wednesday was probably the kicker, as Dilbeck notes that Joe Torre said encouraging things about him before that game, and then yesterday (a) voiced some disapproval of DeWitt’s performance and (b) benched him for the game against the Dbacks (DeWitt did come in late, got a hit and scored the winning run).
The knock on DeWitt at second base had been his defense. Now he could get benched in favor of Ron Belliard, himself no master with the leather. No one said life is fair, I suppose.
I wasn’t a fan of him getting as many plate appearances as he did at third base in 2008, but I figured his bat could hack second and wouldn’t mind if Torre showed a bit more patience with the guy.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)