Apr 17, 2010, 9:43 AM EDT
Aaron Rowand sustained two small fractures in his cheekbone and a mild concussion after being hit in the helmet by Vicente Padilla during the fifth inning of Friday’s game against the Dodgers.
Padilla’s history as a headhunter is well-documented, of course, but he denied that he threw at Rowand intentionally, via Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
“I threw inside and the pitch ran in on him. He
was right on the plate…”
“With that kind of lead, there was no reason for
me to start a conflict.“
For what it’s worth, Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t believe Padilla was in a situation where he would hit a batter intentionally, reports Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle.
“In that situation, he’s in a jam,” Bochy said. “You’re always going to
wonder what the intent was. Certainly in that situation, that’s not when
a pitcher is going to hit somebody.”
Bochy said that he was unsure whether Rowand would require a stint on the disabled list, though it’s pretty hard to believe he’ll be able avoid it.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)