Apr 17, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon, who was expected to pitch the 10th inning Saturday upon the resumption of Friday’s suspended game, will be unavailable following the birth of his baby boy.
8-pound, 8-ounce Gunner is the newest addition to the Papelbon family, which includes wife Ashley and 15-month-old Parker.
Boston’s plan was to stick with Papelbon after he pitched the top of the ninth in a 1-1 game against the Rays that was suspended due to rain Friday. Now Daniel Bard is slated to get the ball if the Red Sox fail to score in the bottom of the ninth.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (117)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)