Apr 17, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon, who was expected to pitch the 10th inning Saturday upon the resumption of Friday’s suspended game, will be unavailable following the birth of his baby boy.
8-pound, 8-ounce Gunner is the newest addition to the Papelbon family, which includes wife Ashley and 15-month-old Parker.
Boston’s plan was to stick with Papelbon after he pitched the top of the ninth in a 1-1 game against the Rays that was suspended due to rain Friday. Now Daniel Bard is slated to get the ball if the Red Sox fail to score in the bottom of the ninth.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)