Apr 17, 2010, 6:48 PM EST
Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon, who was expected to pitch the 10th inning Saturday upon the resumption of Friday’s suspended game, will be unavailable following the birth of his baby boy.
8-pound, 8-ounce Gunner is the newest addition to the Papelbon family, which includes wife Ashley and 15-month-old Parker.
Boston’s plan was to stick with Papelbon after he pitched the top of the ninth in a 1-1 game against the Rays that was suspended due to rain Friday. Now Daniel Bard is slated to get the ball if the Red Sox fail to score in the bottom of the ninth.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 77
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 41
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (86)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)