Apr 17, 2010, 11:05 PM EDT
FOX certainly picked the right game of the week this time.
The Mets and Cardinals went scoreless for 18 inning Saturday before Jeff Francoeur’s sac fly off position player Joe Mather in the top of the 19th.
But that still wasn’t enough baseball for the teams. Francisco Rodriguez, held in reserve for 6 1/2 hours, blew the save in the 19th on an Albert Pujols double and a Yadier Molina RBI single.
That took the game to the 20th, where the Mets were finally able to finish it. Jose Reyes delivered a sac fly that scored Angel Pagan in the top of the frame, and Mike Pelfrey pitched a scoreless bottom of the inning for his first career save.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 99
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 17
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39