Apr 17, 2010, 11:05 PM EDT
FOX certainly picked the right game of the week this time.
The Mets and Cardinals went scoreless for 18 inning Saturday before Jeff Francoeur’s sac fly off position player Joe Mather in the top of the 19th.
But that still wasn’t enough baseball for the teams. Francisco Rodriguez, held in reserve for 6 1/2 hours, blew the save in the 19th on an Albert Pujols double and a Yadier Molina RBI single.
That took the game to the 20th, where the Mets were finally able to finish it. Jose Reyes delivered a sac fly that scored Angel Pagan in the top of the frame, and Mike Pelfrey pitched a scoreless bottom of the inning for his first career save.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)