Apr 17, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
The Red Sox and Rays were tied at 1-1 heading into the bottom of the ninth on Friday night before the game was delayed to rain. After waiting it out for 63 minutes, the game was suspended and will resume at 7:10 pm ET on Saturday.
According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, it was the first suspended game for the Red Sox since May 3, 1996. The slumping David Ortiz was pretty bummed about the whole thing.
“I got sad,” Ortiz said. “I was ready to hit a walkoff.’‘
Ortiz is schedule to lead off against Lance Cormier on Saturday evening, with Adrian Beltre and Jeremy Hermida to follow.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 17
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)