Apr 17, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
The Red Sox and Rays were tied at 1-1 heading into the bottom of the ninth on Friday night before the game was delayed to rain. After waiting it out for 63 minutes, the game was suspended and will resume at 7:10 pm ET on Saturday.
According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, it was the first suspended game for the Red Sox since May 3, 1996. The slumping David Ortiz was pretty bummed about the whole thing.
“I got sad,” Ortiz said. “I was ready to hit a walkoff.’‘
Ortiz is schedule to lead off against Lance Cormier on Saturday evening, with Adrian Beltre and Jeremy Hermida to follow.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)