Apr 17, 2010, 9:48 AM EST
The Red Sox and Rays were tied at 1-1 heading into the bottom of the ninth on Friday night before the game was delayed to rain. After waiting it out for 63 minutes, the game was suspended and will resume at 7:10 pm ET on Saturday.
According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, it was the first suspended game for the Red Sox since May 3, 1996. The slumping David Ortiz was pretty bummed about the whole thing.
“I got sad,” Ortiz said. “I was ready to hit a walkoff.’‘
Ortiz is schedule to lead off against Lance Cormier on Saturday evening, with Adrian Beltre and Jeremy Hermida to follow.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)