UPDATE: Angelos willing to talk if Ripken wants job with O's

Apr 17, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT

Cal Ripken.jpgUPDATE: Angelos says Ripken has not offered himself to the team as a prospective employee, reports Buster Olney of ESPN.com.

“Quite simply, Cal Ripken did not offer to become part of the Oriole
organization in any secondary position, such as manager or as an
assistant to [team president] Andy MacPhail, or in some kind of support
role of MacPhail,” Angelos said. “If he wants to make such a proposal,
I’d like to hear about it.”

8:41 AM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that that Cal Ripken Jr. met with team president Andy MacPhail about rejoining the Orioles in a front office capacity, however the idea was eventually shot down by owner Peter Angelos.

Angelos, however, nixed the idea in a separate conversation with Ripken,
telling him, according to three sources, that he did not want Ripken to
receive credit once the team returned to prominence.

Rosenthal also writes that Angelos did not want to create the perception that MacPhail was not in complete control, a view that shows how out of touch he is with the fanbase already.

Listen, this sounds like pure ego stuff to me, but if Angelos is so worried about perception, he should have been prepared for the very real possibility that if he declined Ripken’s overtures, it would eventually leak out to the press. He should also recognize that if he wants to get in a battle with Ripken — the most beloved player in franchise history — for the hearts and minds of Orioles fans, he will lose every time.

1. Jeff V. - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:18 AM

“Ripken — the most beloved player in franchise history”
    Greatest…yes as a career Orioles since they shared Frank with the Reds.
    Most respected…I could see that.
    Beloved? I have to go Brooksie with that one.
    This is exactly what the O’s do not need right now, season tickets are already down and between the new fees for walk-ups and the disapointing start I forsee attendence taking a large hit.
    With PA handing things over to AM a few years ago it looked like failure had humbled him to some degree, guess not.

2. SouthofHeaven - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM

WOW. What an idiot. CRJr. would be an asset to any team, from a PR perspective alone.

3. Ross - Apr 17, 2010 at 9:38 AM

“Jealous Too”. Thank you Captcha.

4. APBA Guy - Apr 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM

The Orioles have been losing to the Beloved A’s the last two nights, a series that always leaves me conflicted. Having grown up around DC when there was no baseball there, the Orioles were always my team. Of course, this was before Angelos, who single-handedly destroyed the team and still refuses to recognize the damage his arrogance has brought to the franchise.
    Watching their pathetic play the last two nights, this edition of the Orioles reflects the sad, pathetic croakings of an old man out of touch, haughty, removed, and ultimately immune to fan concerns. That anyone attends games in Camden is a tribute solely to the Orioles’ past and the stadium.
    Angelos makes Wolfe look good, and that’s very hard to do. Ripken should consider himself fortunate he isn’t a part of the Orioles futility.

5. D.J. Short - Apr 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Jeff,
    That’s fair. I’ve lived in Maryland my whole life and he is the most beloved among my generation of fans (under 30), but it’s probably more definitive to call him “most iconic” or something to that effect.

6. nafzak - Apr 17, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I guess Angelos must now take credit for teh O’s wonderful start this year and the many many successful seasons in the last… well since he owned the team.

7. Peter North - Apr 17, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I like beans.

8. GimmeSomeSteel - Apr 17, 2010 at 6:36 PM

If it’s a choice between believing Peter Angelos and Ken Rosenthal, I take Rosenthal every time.

9. Jeff V. - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I can see where the 30 under folks would see it that way. Of course with the way the O’s have gone since ’97 there are not a great deal of under 30 fans left.

10. countree89 - Apr 17, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Peter, Peter fan-base eater,
    Had a team and couldn’t keep her.
    This is the most I’ve ever wanted to believe in nursery rhymes…

11. Kenny - Apr 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Gotta unfortunately side with Angelos on this one. It makes no sense that he would turn down Cal’s offer to take a mentoring position. And of course now Cal can’t be reached for comment. Here are the rest of my thoughts on this situation
    I mean, I despise Angelos as much as the next guy, but it seems Cal’s working an angle here.
    As for the O’s on-field performance, this is flat-out ridiculous. Regardless of what you think of Trembley at this point, he clearly needs to go. I feel bad for the guy, but something, anything’s gotta change. Just the nature of the business.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto