Apr 17, 2010, 11:08 AM EST
Roy Halladay tossed eight innings of two-run ball in a rain-soaked 8-6 win over the Marlins on Friday night. Halladay threw exactly 100 pitches, striking out four without issuing a walk. The Marlins scored four in the ninth off David Herndon to cut it close, but Ryan Madson was able to come in and secure the final two outs.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com relays what is perhaps the most odd statistic of the night:
So let’s compare Halladay and Lee after their first three starts with
Lee: 3-0, 1.13 ERA.
Halladay: 3-0, 1.13 ERA.
No joke. They have pitched almost exactly the same. Lee allowed 16 hits,
three runs and six walks and struck out 23 in 24 innings. He had one
complete game. Halladay allowed 21 hits, three runs and two walks and
struck out 21 in 24 innings. He also had one complete game.
It’s safe to say Halladay would have had a second complete game if it wasn’t a rainy night in April. There’s obviously a long way to go, with plenty of variables at play, but Halladay’s win potential in Philadelphia is positively scary.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)