Apr 17, 2010, 11:08 AM EDT
Roy Halladay tossed eight innings of two-run ball in a rain-soaked 8-6 win over the Marlins on Friday night. Halladay threw exactly 100 pitches, striking out four without issuing a walk. The Marlins scored four in the ninth off David Herndon to cut it close, but Ryan Madson was able to come in and secure the final two outs.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com relays what is perhaps the most odd statistic of the night:
So let’s compare Halladay and Lee after their first three starts with
Lee: 3-0, 1.13 ERA.
Halladay: 3-0, 1.13 ERA.
No joke. They have pitched almost exactly the same. Lee allowed 16 hits,
three runs and six walks and struck out 23 in 24 innings. He had one
complete game. Halladay allowed 21 hits, three runs and two walks and
struck out 21 in 24 innings. He also had one complete game.
It’s safe to say Halladay would have had a second complete game if it wasn’t a rainy night in April. There’s obviously a long way to go, with plenty of variables at play, but Halladay’s win potential in Philadelphia is positively scary.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 0
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 35
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)