Apr 17, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT
The Royals made a pair of roster moves early Saturday, placing Chris Getz on the 15-day disabled list due to a strained right oblique and activating Alex Gordon from the 15-day disabled list, according to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.
Gordon began the season on the DL because of a broken right thumb suffered on a head-first slide on March 6. He homered in his first at-bat for Triple-A Omaha on Friday after batting .235 (4-for-17) with two RBI in seven rehab games with Class A Wilmington.
Gordon, now 26 years old, has yet to meet the heavy expectations adorned upon him as a former first-round pick, batting just .250/.331/.415 over his first three seasons in the majors. He only played 49 games last season, thanks to hip surgery in May and a demotion in August — otherwise known as a rather obvious attempt to delay his free agency until 2013.
The Royals could have opted to recall Mike Aviles to play second base, but by activating Gordon, Alberto Callaspo is expected to shift back to his old stomping grounds.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)