Apr 18, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
D.J. reported yesterday about Aaron Rowand’s crack to the face and presumed that it would lead to a trip to the DL. Now that trip is official: Rowand was placed on the disabled list and is expected to miss 2-3 weeks. The time on the DL is probably just as much if not more necessary for the concussion he suffered as it is for the cheekbone fracture.
Rowand’s loss will likely lead to a lot of playing time for Eugenio Velez, who is 7 for his first 17 with a couple of home runs so far this year, including a great night last night: 3 for 5 with a walk, a double and an RBI as the Giants beat the Dodgers 9-0. He’s not that good, obviously, but the falloff from Rowand to Velez is not so great that it should halt San Francisco’s early season momentum.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)