Apr 18, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
D.J. reported yesterday about Aaron Rowand’s crack to the face and presumed that it would lead to a trip to the DL. Now that trip is official: Rowand was placed on the disabled list and is expected to miss 2-3 weeks. The time on the DL is probably just as much if not more necessary for the concussion he suffered as it is for the cheekbone fracture.
Rowand’s loss will likely lead to a lot of playing time for Eugenio Velez, who is 7 for his first 17 with a couple of home runs so far this year, including a great night last night: 3 for 5 with a walk, a double and an RBI as the Giants beat the Dodgers 9-0. He’s not that good, obviously, but the falloff from Rowand to Velez is not so great that it should halt San Francisco’s early season momentum.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 0
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)