Apr 18, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
D.J. reported yesterday about Aaron Rowand’s crack to the face and presumed that it would lead to a trip to the DL. Now that trip is official: Rowand was placed on the disabled list and is expected to miss 2-3 weeks. The time on the DL is probably just as much if not more necessary for the concussion he suffered as it is for the cheekbone fracture.
Rowand’s loss will likely lead to a lot of playing time for Eugenio Velez, who is 7 for his first 17 with a couple of home runs so far this year, including a great night last night: 3 for 5 with a walk, a double and an RBI as the Giants beat the Dodgers 9-0. He’s not that good, obviously, but the falloff from Rowand to Velez is not so great that it should halt San Francisco’s early season momentum.
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (133)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)