Apr 18, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
Today marks the 60th anniversary of legendary announcer Vin Scully calling Dodgers games. As usual, he had all the right words to describe the moment:
I feel only overwhelming gratitude. You feel blessed that you’ve lived that long, that you’ve been allowed to do what you love to do for that long, and that my health has held up all those years. It’s humbling to think that you’ve been that fortunate and that God has blessed you with that time.
That first team, the so-called “Boys of Summer,” that was my graduating class. I mean, look at the team then. I had Don Newcombe, Gil Hodges, Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reese, Billy Cox, Roy Campanella, Duke Snider, Carl Furillo, and Carl Erskine. That was such an amazing collection of players, so I guess that was the team that made the most impression on me.
Scully is 82 years old and no longer travels with the team beyond the West Coast, but remains my favorite announcer in all of baseball. In fact, he’s so good and so fun to listen to that I actually use him as motivation to exercise, putting on Dodgers games while doing late-night sessions on the elliptical machine. And if you’ve seen me, you know that’s really saying something.
I’m a lifelong Minnesotan with no strong feelings about the Dodgers and exercising is perhaps my least favorite thing in the entire world, yet Scully makes working out while watching Matt Kemp and company a treat. Here’s hoping for many more years in the broadcast booth for Scully, or at least as many as it takes for me to shed another 30 pounds or so.
Congrats, Vin. It takes someone truly special to be the best for 60 years.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 60
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 23
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 53
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (132)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)