Apr 18, 2010, 11:50 AM EST
One of the reasons you don’t get so hung up on how homer-friendly a ballpark is in its debut year: it might not be so friendly in its next year. That appears to be the case with new Yankee Stadium in the early going. Last year there were 21 homers hit in the first five games at the new yard. This year: 11 in the first five games.
The weather? Maybe. It’s been under 60 degrees at game time for three of those first five games this year and was only 62 for a fourth, so maybe it’s just a matter of the ball not carrying like it will later. But it may also be a function of pitchers adjusting to the shorter-than-expected porch in right and pitching accordingly.
Just another reason not to make any pronouncements about a park until it’s been played in for a good while.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)