Apr 18, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Rays’ catcher Kelly Shoppach was placed on the disabled list earlier this week with a knee sprain, but it may be something worse.
Shoppach’s swelling and pain hasn’t subsided, and now he’s scheduled to see the team’s orthopedist tommorw, and there is a possibility that he could need surgery. Joe Maddon vibes pessimistic in the linked article. Dioner Navarro will be back there all the time now, which is a blow on offense.
Shoppach got the injury last Saturday while blocking Curtis Granderson at the plate. He stopped him, but the game was still 4-0 and the Rays would go on to lose 10-0. I’m not a big fan of plate blocking to begin with. If you got the ball already, great, stop the guy, but that little leg-in-front-of-the-plate-while-catching-the-ball move (a) is unfair to the runner who has just as much a right to the plate as the catcher does; and (b) is a great way to, you know, injure your knee.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)