Apr 18, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Rays’ catcher Kelly Shoppach was placed on the disabled list earlier this week with a knee sprain, but it may be something worse.
Shoppach’s swelling and pain hasn’t subsided, and now he’s scheduled to see the team’s orthopedist tommorw, and there is a possibility that he could need surgery. Joe Maddon vibes pessimistic in the linked article. Dioner Navarro will be back there all the time now, which is a blow on offense.
Shoppach got the injury last Saturday while blocking Curtis Granderson at the plate. He stopped him, but the game was still 4-0 and the Rays would go on to lose 10-0. I’m not a big fan of plate blocking to begin with. If you got the ball already, great, stop the guy, but that little leg-in-front-of-the-plate-while-catching-the-ball move (a) is unfair to the runner who has just as much a right to the plate as the catcher does; and (b) is a great way to, you know, injure your knee.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 17
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)