Apr 18, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Rays’ catcher Kelly Shoppach was placed on the disabled list earlier this week with a knee sprain, but it may be something worse.
Shoppach’s swelling and pain hasn’t subsided, and now he’s scheduled to see the team’s orthopedist tommorw, and there is a possibility that he could need surgery. Joe Maddon vibes pessimistic in the linked article. Dioner Navarro will be back there all the time now, which is a blow on offense.
Shoppach got the injury last Saturday while blocking Curtis Granderson at the plate. He stopped him, but the game was still 4-0 and the Rays would go on to lose 10-0. I’m not a big fan of plate blocking to begin with. If you got the ball already, great, stop the guy, but that little leg-in-front-of-the-plate-while-catching-the-ball move (a) is unfair to the runner who has just as much a right to the plate as the catcher does; and (b) is a great way to, you know, injure your knee.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39