Apr 18, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Lance Berkman went 3-for-4 with a homer and a double in a rehab game today at Triple-A and MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart reports that the switch-hitter called Astros manager Brad Mills afterward to say he’ll be ready to return from the disabled list Tuesday.
Berkman, who hasn’t played since undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery on March 13, said he told Mills “you can run me out there for about 10 or 15 games and see what happens.” However, the All-Star first baseman also told McTaggart that his surgically repaired knee isn’t totally healed.
“I wouldn’t say it’s completely behind me, but I would say it’s good enough to get out there and play,” Berkman said. “I hadn’t played a game in five weeks, so obviously not just my knee, but every part of me is kind of sore, just because I hadn’t been in game action. I anticipate being in the lineup on Tuesday and not coming out of it until the end of the year.”
After beginning the season with eight straight losses Houston has won three out of four games, but at 3-9 overall with an MLB-worst 2.33 runs per game offensively the Astros desperately need Berkman’s bat back in the lineup. He’s hit .299/.412/.555 with an average of 33 homers, 110 RBIs, and 100 walks per 150 games, posting a slugging percentage above .500 in each of his 10 full seasons.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)