Apr 18, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Lance Berkman went 3-for-4 with a homer and a double in a rehab game today at Triple-A and MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart reports that the switch-hitter called Astros manager Brad Mills afterward to say he’ll be ready to return from the disabled list Tuesday.
Berkman, who hasn’t played since undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery on March 13, said he told Mills “you can run me out there for about 10 or 15 games and see what happens.” However, the All-Star first baseman also told McTaggart that his surgically repaired knee isn’t totally healed.
“I wouldn’t say it’s completely behind me, but I would say it’s good enough to get out there and play,” Berkman said. “I hadn’t played a game in five weeks, so obviously not just my knee, but every part of me is kind of sore, just because I hadn’t been in game action. I anticipate being in the lineup on Tuesday and not coming out of it until the end of the year.”
After beginning the season with eight straight losses Houston has won three out of four games, but at 3-9 overall with an MLB-worst 2.33 runs per game offensively the Astros desperately need Berkman’s bat back in the lineup. He’s hit .299/.412/.555 with an average of 33 homers, 110 RBIs, and 100 walks per 150 games, posting a slugging percentage above .500 in each of his 10 full seasons.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)