Apr 18, 2010, 5:24 PM EDT
Only the Mets could bat someone in the cleanup spot Opening Day and then designate him for assignment less than two weeks later, but that’s what they did today with first baseman Mike Jacobs.
After starting Jacobs in six of the first eight games with Daniel Murphy on the disabled list the Mets dropped him from the 40-man roster this afternoon, calling up Tobi Stoner to have an extra arm in the bullpen following last night’s marathon win over the Cardinals.
Jacobs is an overrated, mediocre hitter with a terrible glove, so letting him go is perfectly reasonable. The funny part is that for the first two games of the season Jerry Manuel looked at his available options and decided putting Jacobs in between David Wright and Jason Bay gave the Mets their best chance to win.
And then, once he got over that insanity, Manuel batted Jacobs fifth behind Wright and Bay in four of the next six games.
Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com speculates that cutting Jacobs loose could signal the impending arrival of first base prospect Ike Davis, who began the season at Triple-A despite a very impressive spring training. Davis is 12-for-33 (.364) with two homers and three doubles in 10 games at Buffalo, but the 2008 first-round pick just turned 23 years old last month and has played a grand total of 65 games above Single-A.
Of course, no one has ever accused the Mets of having a plan, let alone sticking to one.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)