Apr 18, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
I had missed this because, let’s face it, it’s easy to miss stuff that happens with the Marlins, but apparently there is no longer an out-of-town scoreboard in whatever the hell the Marlins are calling their ballpark these days. No more starting lineups either. In their place: advertisements for the MLB Network and a picture of Billy the Marlin
holding up a gloved fin and an ad for the Marlins Community Foundation.
Team president David Samson says the scoreboard and lineups aren’t needed: “every fan has a handheld device
with Internet accessibility.”
Every fan? Really? Because if you believe the people who know things about the market, only about one-in-five new phones sold these days are smartphones. Indeed, the vast majority of people don’t have handhelds with Internet accessibility, meaning that the vast majority of people who attend Marlins games would very much like to have an out-of-town scoreboard and the lineups handy.
Of course then Samson couldn’t get money for more ads and the Marlins wouldn’t be the most profitable team in baseball.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)