Apr 18, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
I had missed this because, let’s face it, it’s easy to miss stuff that happens with the Marlins, but apparently there is no longer an out-of-town scoreboard in whatever the hell the Marlins are calling their ballpark these days. No more starting lineups either. In their place: advertisements for the MLB Network and a picture of Billy the Marlin
holding up a gloved fin and an ad for the Marlins Community Foundation.
Team president David Samson says the scoreboard and lineups aren’t needed: “every fan has a handheld device
with Internet accessibility.”
Every fan? Really? Because if you believe the people who know things about the market, only about one-in-five new phones sold these days are smartphones. Indeed, the vast majority of people don’t have handhelds with Internet accessibility, meaning that the vast majority of people who attend Marlins games would very much like to have an out-of-town scoreboard and the lineups handy.
Of course then Samson couldn’t get money for more ads and the Marlins wouldn’t be the most profitable team in baseball.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (96)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)