Apr 18, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
I had missed this because, let’s face it, it’s easy to miss stuff that happens with the Marlins, but apparently there is no longer an out-of-town scoreboard in whatever the hell the Marlins are calling their ballpark these days. No more starting lineups either. In their place: advertisements for the MLB Network and a picture of Billy the Marlin
holding up a gloved fin and an ad for the Marlins Community Foundation.
Team president David Samson says the scoreboard and lineups aren’t needed: “every fan has a handheld device
with Internet accessibility.”
Every fan? Really? Because if you believe the people who know things about the market, only about one-in-five new phones sold these days are smartphones. Indeed, the vast majority of people don’t have handhelds with Internet accessibility, meaning that the vast majority of people who attend Marlins games would very much like to have an out-of-town scoreboard and the lineups handy.
Of course then Samson couldn’t get money for more ads and the Marlins wouldn’t be the most profitable team in baseball.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)