Apr 18, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
I had missed this because, let’s face it, it’s easy to miss stuff that happens with the Marlins, but apparently there is no longer an out-of-town scoreboard in whatever the hell the Marlins are calling their ballpark these days. No more starting lineups either. In their place: advertisements for the MLB Network and a picture of Billy the Marlin
holding up a gloved fin and an ad for the Marlins Community Foundation.
Team president David Samson says the scoreboard and lineups aren’t needed: “every fan has a handheld device
with Internet accessibility.”
Every fan? Really? Because if you believe the people who know things about the market, only about one-in-five new phones sold these days are smartphones. Indeed, the vast majority of people don’t have handhelds with Internet accessibility, meaning that the vast majority of people who attend Marlins games would very much like to have an out-of-town scoreboard and the lineups handy.
Of course then Samson couldn’t get money for more ads and the Marlins wouldn’t be the most profitable team in baseball.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)