Ubaldo Jiminez had electric stuff last night

Apr 18, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT

Ubaldo Jimiez no hitter.jpgMatthew wrote about it first last night, but I just got done watching the replay of the Ubaldo Jiminez no-hitter, and I have to say that it’s been a long time since I’ve seen someone pitch with that kind of gas in his tank. He struggled a bit early walking people, but it seemed like the reason for it was he just had so much power and velocity and so much action on his fastball that he couldn’t fully harness it.

After a couple of innings he tired ever so slightly, settled in at an, um, reasonable 97-98 miles per hour, and he was much better able to control the extra giddy-up. By the time the sixth and seventh innings rolled around the Braves had no better shot at
hitting the ball than you or I would have had.  I loved Jiminez before, but after last night’s performance the guy is approaching man-crush territory. I mean, he was no-hitting my team, and all I could think was how awesome it was.

I was also thinking that the Braves get no-hit a lot because watching them flail certainly felt familiar.  Turns out, though, that it’s only happened twice since I was converted to their cause in the mid 80s: last night and Randy Johnson’s perfect game in 2004 (there were 11 other occasions before the 1980s).  I guess the feeling was just a function of seeing a lot of bad offensive nights against guys throwing serious heat, which is an occupational hazard for Bobby Cox teams.

1. LT - Apr 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I love Jimenez as much as the next guy, but I have a minor point to make. When a pitcher throws a no-no, but walks 6 guys (6!) in the process, I think the performance should be referred to as a “Doc Ellis”.
    Also, the worst part about the Mets Cards marathon was that they stopped selling beer in the 7th. Stadium and team owned buy a beer company, but, alas, not a drop of beer to be served for the final 13 innings.

2. Chris W - Apr 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM

If I’m not mistaken, the Braves were Ben Sheets’s opponent when he struck out 20, so maybe that adds to the impression that the Braves are always getting, er…pwned

3. Omega in Colorado - Apr 18, 2010 at 12:20 PM

This no-no versus the Braves is especially sweet.
    As a long time Rockies fan, i.e. from the day they announced we won the franchise until the foreseeable future, the Braves OWNED my Rockies the first two full seasons of the Rocko’s existence. We went something like 0 and 23 before we finally won our first game against the Braves.
    The Braves were the dominant team in the early 90′s and my boys had a mental block against beating them.
    My cap’s off to Jiminez, 18 years in the waiting and oh so sweet to savor this morning.

4. Jon Vedamuthu - Apr 18, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Your man-crush on Ubaldo only started to develop now? Opening Day last year he and Dan Haren hooked up and Haren won, but just watching Ubaldo’s STUFF(!!) sizzle had my heart a-flutter. By the time the NLDS rolled around I was hyperventilating every time he did that strange thrusting motion with his arm mid-delivery. At this point, I might just send him flowers.

5. gumbercules - Apr 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Jimenez was something last night, wasn’t he?
    Still, Verlander hit 102 mph on the TV gun in the 9th inning of his no-no. Until someone matches that, I’ll be hard to impress.

6. Roger Moore - Apr 18, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Do bear in mind that Jiminez was throwing his 97-98 mph heat from the stretch. He probably would have been throwing faster, albeit with less control, from the windup.

7. Mathew - Apr 18, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I dont it sounds like to me your trying to make excuses for the braves.
    Your trying to make it seem like Jiminez pitched the best game ever and because of that you cant fault the braves for not getting 1 hit.
    Thats not the case and you know it. JIminez threw alot of hittable pitches and the Braves simplily couldnt execute. Yes he threw a great game but he deffently wasnt unhittable. If the Braves would have played anywhere near average they would of had a hit.

8. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM

You are an absolutely hopeless troll, Matthew.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3862)