Apr 18, 2010, 8:50 AM EST
Matthew wrote about it first last night, but I just got done watching the replay of the Ubaldo Jiminez no-hitter, and I have to say that it’s been a long time since I’ve seen someone pitch with that kind of gas in his tank. He struggled a bit early walking people, but it seemed like the reason for it was he just had so much power and velocity and so much action on his fastball that he couldn’t fully harness it.
After a couple of innings he tired ever so slightly, settled in at an, um, reasonable 97-98 miles per hour, and he was much better able to control the extra giddy-up. By the time the sixth and seventh innings rolled around the Braves had no better shot at
hitting the ball than you or I would have had. I loved Jiminez before, but after last night’s performance the guy is approaching man-crush territory. I mean, he was no-hitting my team, and all I could think was how awesome it was.
I was also thinking that the Braves get no-hit a lot because watching them flail certainly felt familiar. Turns out, though, that it’s only happened twice since I was converted to their cause in the mid 80s: last night and Randy Johnson’s perfect game in 2004 (there were 11 other occasions before the 1980s). I guess the feeling was just a function of seeing a lot of bad offensive nights against guys throwing serious heat, which is an occupational hazard for Bobby Cox teams.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)