Apr 19, 2010, 9:38 AM EDT
This happened back on April 9th, but it’s just now coming to light. I’m assuming that, like all major news stories, it was held up out of an abundance of caution so that the critical details could be verified:
In the bottom of the 12th inning Friday, with Eli Whiteside at the
plate and Sandoval dancing off 3rd base with the possible winning run,
it hit me. Panda’s athletic cup.In the head.
In 25 years of photographing baseball, that was the first, and
please, last time that’s ever happened.
That’s the account from Karl Mondon, a photographer from the Bay Area News Group, who had been sitting next to the Giants’ dugout when Sandoval reached into his trousers, pulled out his cup — which had been bugging him — and tossed it towards the dugout.
Which is a total disgrace. Major League Baseball has been perfectly clear on this point: in order to foster a fun and memorable atmosphere for the fans, players should toss their athletic cups into the seats as souvenirs.
The Giants are not hurting for money. They could afford to get Sandoval a new cup. Those kids sitting alongside the third base line, however, were deprived of what would have almost certainly been a lasting memory.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)