Apr 19, 2010, 12:26 PM EDT
UPDATE: Originally in the Triple-A lineup, Ike Davis was removed about 30 minutes before game time. He’s in Buffalo, New York and the Mets are playing at Citi Field tonight, so …
Every media outlet in New York seems to agree that 23-year-old prospect Ike Davis is on the verge of joining the Mets, but it apparently won’t be today. Davis is in the lineup at Triple-A this afternoon, batting cleanup and playing first base for Buffalo.
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors notes that it’s already late enough in the season that the Mets have delayed Davis’ free agency until after 2016, so that hurdle has been cleared. By waiting a bit longer they could also ensure he won’t reach “Super Two” arbitration status in his third season, but that’s less of a concern than pushing back Davis’ eventual free agency.
In other words, if the Mets are going to call up Davis it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference whether they do it today or later this week. But since we are talking about the Mets here, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they didn’t have a firm plan in place.
Also, while admittedly tough to do given the media attention surrounding his impending call-up expectations for Davis should be held in check. He was very impressive during spring training and is off to a tremendous start at Triple-A, but hitting .282 with a .467 slugging percentage and 159 strikeouts through 182 games in the minors doesn’t exactly scream instant impact and Davis has struggled against left-handed pitching.
He definitely projects as a good player long term and is probably better than Mike Jacobs or Daniel Murphy right now, but Davis is hardly a savior.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 76
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)