Apr 19, 2010, 1:23 PM EDT
Originally in the lineup at Triple-A this afternoon and then scratched about 30 minutes before the first pitch, Ike Davis is officially on his way to Citi Field and will probably be in the Mets’ lineup tonight against the Cubs.
If you’re wondering why a non-elite prospect like Davis gets minute-by-minute coverage here and elsewhere … well, I don’t have a great answer except to say the Mets’ handling of the entire situation is “interesting” and of course the media coverage for a New York prospect is always off the charts.
However, as I wrote earlier this afternoon Davis is hardly a savior for the Mets and projects as more of a solid all-around player than future superstar. For instance, Baseball America had him ranked as the game’s 62nd-best prospect heading into the season, which wasn’t even best among guys with the last name Davis.
He’s no doubt moved up quite a few spots since then because of an impressive spring training and hot start at Triple-A, but in the short term Jerry Manuel and company should be very happy if Davis can hit .275 or so with 20-homer pop. Of course, given the lead-up to his arrival that type of solid production would probably get him labeled a bust immediately.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)