Apr 19, 2010, 1:23 PM EDT
Originally in the lineup at Triple-A this afternoon and then scratched about 30 minutes before the first pitch, Ike Davis is officially on his way to Citi Field and will probably be in the Mets’ lineup tonight against the Cubs.
If you’re wondering why a non-elite prospect like Davis gets minute-by-minute coverage here and elsewhere … well, I don’t have a great answer except to say the Mets’ handling of the entire situation is “interesting” and of course the media coverage for a New York prospect is always off the charts.
However, as I wrote earlier this afternoon Davis is hardly a savior for the Mets and projects as more of a solid all-around player than future superstar. For instance, Baseball America had him ranked as the game’s 62nd-best prospect heading into the season, which wasn’t even best among guys with the last name Davis.
He’s no doubt moved up quite a few spots since then because of an impressive spring training and hot start at Triple-A, but in the short term Jerry Manuel and company should be very happy if Davis can hit .275 or so with 20-homer pop. Of course, given the lead-up to his arrival that type of solid production would probably get him labeled a bust immediately.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 12
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 19
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)