Apr 19, 2010, 1:23 PM EST
Originally in the lineup at Triple-A this afternoon and then scratched about 30 minutes before the first pitch, Ike Davis is officially on his way to Citi Field and will probably be in the Mets’ lineup tonight against the Cubs.
If you’re wondering why a non-elite prospect like Davis gets minute-by-minute coverage here and elsewhere … well, I don’t have a great answer except to say the Mets’ handling of the entire situation is “interesting” and of course the media coverage for a New York prospect is always off the charts.
However, as I wrote earlier this afternoon Davis is hardly a savior for the Mets and projects as more of a solid all-around player than future superstar. For instance, Baseball America had him ranked as the game’s 62nd-best prospect heading into the season, which wasn’t even best among guys with the last name Davis.
He’s no doubt moved up quite a few spots since then because of an impressive spring training and hot start at Triple-A, but in the short term Jerry Manuel and company should be very happy if Davis can hit .275 or so with 20-homer pop. Of course, given the lead-up to his arrival that type of solid production would probably get him labeled a bust immediately.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)